failed to boot with IBM ServeRAID M1115

Hi,

i have purchased a M1115 and plan to cross flash it to the LSI firmware.

i have tried this to on 2 different PC and had it connected to a x16 slot

the PC fails to boot/POST.

Case fans and CPU fans spin up, the light on the card come on and then it resets and does it all over again.

it does this on both the PC's with hdd's plugged in and unplugged.

Anything anyone can suggest?

Not that it will help you, but others that may follow; Can you provide details like the motherboard version, power supply, other components, and the version of M1115? There are many reported cases of computers running fine, then inserting "XXY" card creates reboot loop. This is potentially power load, or memory/io overlap. Former would mean swapping power supply. The later might be resolved with BIOS changes.

Is the 1115 (a more recent version of the 1015 used by many) even supported in unraid?

The wiki shows this as being supported and someone has followed the instructions for 1015 and re flashed the 1115 here http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=26774.msg236857#msg236857

Not that it will help you, but others that may follow; Can you provide details like the motherboard version, power supply, other components, and the version of M1115? There are many reported cases of computers running fine, then inserting "XXY" card creates reboot loop. This is potentially power load, or memory/io overlap. Former would mean swapping power supply. The later might be resolved with BIOS changes.

The 2 machine specs i have tried this on are below

System one (unRaid Server)

MB -  Gigabyte 965P-DQ6

RAM – 4GB

PSU – Hyper Type R 580

HDD – All Disconnected

Video - PCI-e x16

PCI-e Sata 2 port card

System Two (old HTPC)

MB – Gigabyte HM55-UD2H

RAM 4GB

PSU – Antec 450 (not sure on the exact model at this stage)

HDD – All Disconnected but uses a 64Gb SDD

I have one more system i can try when i get a moment.

thanks

ok, so i have managed to get it to boot and flash the firmware to convert it to a LSI card thanks to c3 and his private msg about taping the contacts.

now i get passed the post problem and now when it starts to boot i get a screen of red and white triangles with a blinking line about 1/3 of the way down.

this work and boot in another PC just not the unraid box

hmmm.

• 3 months later...

2 points

1rst, M1115 is not just a newer version of M1015, its a full on Raid card and has a battery option and as such might be a better option for Raid 5. 

2nd, the wierd video artifacts mentioned above also happened to me. This board is a DFI LanParty nF4 SLI-DR.  I had a cross flashed M1015 in x16 slot #2 (works great there) I  put in a PCI graphic card to free up x16 slot #1 (GPU slot) for another M1015. 

Machine would not boot past second cross flashed M1015 card in x16 slot  and presented the same screen mentioned above.

Food for thought,  Going to try pin taping to see if that fixes issue.  If so, cool, I load freeNas :-)

2 points

1rst, M1115 is not just a newer version of M1015, its a full on Raid card and has a battery option and as such might be a better option for Raid 5. 

2nd, the wierd video artifacts mentioned above also happened to me. This board is a DFI LanParty nF4 SLI-DR.  I had a cross flashed M1015 in x16 slot #2 (works great there) I  put in a PCI graphic card to free up x16 slot #1 (GPU slot) for another M1015. 

Machine would not boot past second cross flashed M1015 card in x16 slot  and presented the same screen mentioned above.

Food for thought,  Going to try pin taping to see if that fixes issue.  If so, cool, I load freeNas :-)

Both the M1015 and the M1115 are full RAID cards, until flashed IT. Neither has cache, which is why they are great for things like unRAID. And the no cache means, no battery. The M1115 is a very minor change to the M1015, but they are different.

Reference http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/tips0054.html#comparison