Need to force a rebuild- How do I proceed?

I have a 3TB drive that red balled.  In another thread, a few users helped me trouble shoot and we came to the conclusion that it was due to the power supply not being able to run all the drives in the system and caused it to be dropped.  I have since replaced the power supply (with one with more wattage and amperage on the single rail) and want to rebuild the red balled disk again.  How do I proceed?

One caveat:  Unless you're absolutely certain your parity is good (i.e. you had recently run a parity check before the drive failed), I'd rebuild the data on a NEW (e.g. DIFFERENT) drive.    If you rebuild on the same drive, and anything goes awry, you've just lost all chance of recovering any data from that drive.

One caveat:  Unless you're absolutely certain your parity is good (i.e. you had recently run a parity check before the drive failed), I'd rebuild the data on a NEW (e.g. DIFFERENT) drive.    If you rebuild on the same drive, and anything goes awry, you've just lost all chance of recovering any data from that drive.

I second and third this suggestion. Every time this rebuild in place procedure is recommended I cringe!

I second and third this suggestion. Every time this rebuild in place procedure is recommended I cringe!

Rebuilding data on a new drive wasn't an option unless I purchased another 3TB drive.

I went ahead and rebuilt it on that same drive, before I saw your warnings (I was confident in Amazon's shipping quality and the preclear results) and everything's fine again, fingers crossed.  Thanks a lot for all the help, as usual. 

Rebuilding data on a new drive wasn't an option unless I purchased another 3TB drive.

I went ahead and rebuilt it on that same drive, before I saw your warnings (I was confident in Amazon's shipping quality and the preclear results) and everything's fine again, fingers crossed.  Thanks a lot for all the help, as usual.

It is a sound procedure, but ...

If it fails you have no options.

I'm sure it won't be you that's "IT".

As an extra bit of assurance, you can unassign the disk and let unRaid simulate the disk. If that looks good you can be even more confident, because what it simulates is what it will rebuild.

You actually don't even have to unassign the disk to see what will be rebuilt.  Once a drive is red-balled, UnRAID doesn't read from it anymore ... any reads or writes to that disk are actually to the reconstructed disk that's emulated by using all of the other disks in the array.

Archived