iStar 5-bay mounted upside down?

tucansam

http://www.directron.com/bpnde350ssblk.html

Got one of these now and love it, going to order a second, and eventually a third.  My tower is going from floor-standing to laying on its side so I can hide it in my cabinet.  In this configuration, the drives would be running upside down.  No idea if this is a problem or not, but I'd rather not find out.

Anyone know if the iStar units can be mounted "upside down" (in a floor-standing setup)?  Without taking my sever out of service and trying it myself, I have no idea.  IE do the screw holes line up with standard PC case pre-drilled drive mount holes if the 5-bay chassis is installed upside down.

Thanks.

I have never heard of any issues with HD's being mounted upside down.  They have no cooling fans or heat sinks so that should be a issue from that standpoint.  Usually, the biggest mechanical issue with HD's is a sudden movement before the drive heads have been parked--- and modern HD's seem to survive that much better then the drives of twenty plus years ago. 

EDIT: Plus, there is no warning "This Side Up" label on any hard drive that I have ever seen!

In the "old days" - think 70's and 80's - it most definitely was a bad thing to mount drives upside down.  They could be flat, or on one side or the other.  But that related to the technology of the day.  These days, and especially since the heads on all modern drives are parked out of contact with the media, it is generally not regarded as an issue.

Archived