Choice of Flash Disk

Morning All.  :)

A quick query before buying my Unraid Licence. Is there any particular USB memory stick I should be using for Unraid?

Currently using a 1GB Freecom Data Bar which is working well. It is showing 10% useage after installing Unraid and the Screen package and the Mail package. I will also want to install Plex and PlexConnect packages shortly. Not sure what else I might need in the future, maybe a package to allow external access to my Unraid server (is this even a good idea?).

I have some brand new 8GB Sandisk Cruzer Facet sticks here. Should I be using something like this for future expansion, or is 1GB ample? I don't want to commit to registering  the Freecom Databar for Licence purposes and then run out of space.  :o

Many thanks,  :)

unRAID is very small. Mine with an assortment of plugins is 300k.

A 4Gig flash should be big enough to last until unRAID v12!

Besides, 8 Gig flash drives have become so cheap, they're nearly the least cost of all sizes at the local big box store.

What I found is that the size isn't that important, but the BRAND and MODEL is key.

Not every USB key has a unique serial number. A unique serial number in the flash key is needed to generate your license.

Thanks for that.

As you say, the important thing is make and model. I have noticed over the years a big difference in performance between USB sticks that I have had laying about. I have an "Easy Disk" 1Gb stick here at the mo which has serial and GUID but it will not work reliably with Unraid.

OK, I will try one of the Sandisk Cruzers and see if it is any good.

Cheers.

Flash card reader??

Are we saying we can use a flash card instead of a USB stick?

The critical thing for anything other than unraid basic is the license file, which is tied to the GUID of the flash device. VERY few readers have unique GUID's, and without that, Tom will not issue a license for it. So far, I think the only readers that work for licensing are Kingston Mobilite G2 and G3, but there are issues, and only specific models seem to work, and only with some motherboards.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=27163.0

That said, the card is pretty unimportant, big and fast is good, and since you can replace them whenever you wish, longevity isn't as big an issue.