Continue with unRAID of switch to SnapRAID?

AT0MAC

I have a backup program that currently only run on Mac... I just finished building my unRAID server and it is atm running its first parity sync.

But now I am in doubt about if I did the right thing. Because my Amazon Glacier backup does not seem to be supported by unRAID and running a OSX VM in any way on a unRAID box seems very unlikely.

I could get my hands on a old Mac Pro with plenty of storage bays, install OSX and my favorite backup program and run the whole data share/parity thing unRAID also do via the competitor SnapRAID.

If I did that I could also easily get Plex, Transmission and probably some transcoding setup without much fuzz. What would I miss compared to unRAID???

I only see benefits except that I need to ditch my current rig and use the money on buying a old Mac Pro...

After a little research I found out that SnapRAID might not be the best idea, because first of all the protection is not realtime so in between syncs you are at risk.

Also found out SnapRaid works best with Ext4 systems and that it is kind of hard to make Ext4 pools under OSX...

So I am sticking to unRAID ad will just use my mac to backup files on the server to Amazon

There are several Linux client apps that work with Amazon Glacier... in fact, any FTP package should work.

Might look into that... but for now I am using my mac to transfer from the unRAID server to Glacier, so I can continue using my favorite app.

Just a little dumb to turn on two computers for one task, but it can run in the background when i do other things anyway.

Could you run amazon sync client in a linux VM under unraid 6 with xen?

I know unRAID 6 can do many awesome tricks, but I don't like to take chances so I wait till its out of beta.

Although it is true that unRAID 6 is in beta, the part of unRAID that manages the parity disk is old and unchanged. We have seen only one bug in that code in the last 8 years - and it was an obscure one. And do realize that unRAID is responsible ONLY for writes to the parity disk, not for writes to the physical disks. So, at worst, unRAID wouldn't maintain parity correctly. But you have the parity check feature to double check that parity is being maintained. Now some of the new features could have bugs or lack polish due to their relative immaturity, but we are on Beta5 so most of the issues have been incrementally addressed.

I would absolutely trust my data to unRAID 6 at this point. I might run a few extra parity checks in the first few weeks, and verify the MD5 checksum on files copied, to make sure nothing is sideways. But I would do that for a beta or non-beta release.