New MB suggestions sought, 8+ SATA

tucansam

My trusty M5A78L-M still won't boot off USB automatically (without a kb and monitor plugged in to make it do it) even after two CMOS battery replacements, and it still won't keep time.  I'm thinking its getting a little long in the tooth.  I've maxed out at six drives, and had considered just getting an 8-port SuperMicro card, but.....

Might as well turn this board into a lab machine and upgrade my server for the next few years.  Presently running an AMD AthlonII X2 250u -- absurdly low power, but with the integrated graphics on the motherboard, I'm sure a modern solution would draw less power.

Plus now I can take advantage and upgrade to ECC memory, an Intel NIC (or two), and IPMI.

Looking for suggestions for a replacement.  Micro ATX, ATX, strange sizes, whatever, I have a large tower and anything should fit.  Again, IPMI would be sweet, as would ECC and an onboard Intel NIC, but it must have at least 8 SATA ports (and not on some strange controller chip unraid won't like, as I've seen with other boards)

Any suggestions?  Intel-based would be fine as I could use a ridiculously low power Celeron (1150 or 1155) and upgrade to something later if it ever becomes necessary.

Thanks.

I use a Asrock c225 ws and has worked great so far.  It has 10 sata3 ports, supports ecc memory, 2 Intel NICs, and great PCIe expansion.  But it does not have IPMI.  4 of the sata ports a on 2 Marvell controllers and I had no issue with them.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157409

http://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=C226%20WS

I also have Intel Pentium G3220 Haswell 3.0GHz LGA 1150 that supports ECC memory.  I just upgraded to a Xeon for VT-d support.  I would be willing to sell it for about $30.  PM me if you are interested.

When you buy a CPU make sure that it supports ECC memory if you want ECC, not all CPUs support it.  I think that this particular Pentium was the only Pentium that supported ECC.  Celerons were not available when I bought this CPU so I don't know if they support it.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently upgraded, and decided on an ASRock E3C224-4L.

ECC memory, IPMI, 8 SATA ports onboard, good PCIe expansion.

Highly recommended.

Thats a nice server board. Really nice nitch in the market segment there, wish they could strip out the quad nics to save on coin. Think ill end up shifting to a rack unit because i can pickup daul 771 racks for ~$200, only issue is power though ill strip out a cpu, then hdd :( Would love that board but its to much for a file server for me, maybe i could flog my gaming rig off and move onto one, maybe lol ;)

Guess it comes down to how deep your pockets are, like tyan make some great stuff and some nice e-atx boards.  bjp999's board is the sweet spot though quad nics for me would be wasted, though that a nice price and something that really would suite unraid as you could max out hd limit with a single sas controller or grab 2 cheaper cards or 4. Only issue would be if you losing pci-e slots with a dedi video though risers could fix that with ease :) The lanes might be cut a bit though pci-e 3 at 8x is pci-e 2 16x which wont bottle neck any current card, maybe the titian x and daul 290x. The board being a single cpu is the sweet spot and cheap cpu wise unlike 2011's, its also less power hungry. It's really a well balanced board for unraid so i would be chasing something like it, its just your cup of tea on which maker you go with.

green with envy here hahah

Archived