Midnight Commander - RenMov

Cain

I have never used midnight commander before, I usually just use the command line to move files about but decided to use mc to move the contents of a directory from /mnt/disk1/Temp/Backup/Movies/* (by entering the directory and holding SHIFT & +) to /mnt/user/Movies/ but the efficiency has concerned me, the files totalled around 150GB and if I had used "mv" from the command line this would have taken a while to complete, using RenMov in midnight commander was instant.

The files have been moved, they are in the correct place, but being new to unraid I'm unsure if moving the files in this way has any affect on parity?

I have never used midnight commander before, I usually just use the command line to move files about but decided to use mc to move the contents of a directory from /mnt/disk1/Temp/Backup/Movies/* (by entering the directory and holding SHIFT & +) to /mnt/user/Movies/ but the efficiency has concerned me, the files totalled around 150GB and if I had used "mv" from the command line this would have taken a while to complete, using RenMov in midnight commander was instant.

The files have been moved, they are in the correct place, but being new to unraid I'm unsure if moving the files in this way has any affect on parity?

As long as you stay within the /mnt/disk and /mnt/user structures, parity is maintained. It's if you start mucking about with the sd?? devices that you can screw up parity. The move was instant because it was just a path change, nothing moved from one disk to another. I would recommend reading and learning a little more about how the disk and user folders interact before you really mess yourself up, there is currently a "bug" that can cause you to lose data if you copy things to the wrong place. In your specific instance, all you did was move the files from the Temp folder on disk 1 to the Movies folder on the same disk. Just to be safe, if you are moving things using MC, don't mix and match disk? and user destinations. If the source is a /mnt/disk?/* folder, make sure the destination is a /mnt/disk?/* folder as well, if the source is a /mnt/user/* location, make sure the destination is a /mnt/user/* too.
  • 11 months later...

So I hate to bring up old topics, but this thread came up in a search option when I was researching midnight commander. My main question is about the bug that was just talked about, when moving files from disks to user shares or vice versa. Is this still an issue that anybody knows about, or has this been solved yet? I cannot find anything else about it when I search for it. I am guessing if you wanted to moves files in this manner (from disk to user share, or vice versa) you would just use Windows to do it, and suck up the overhead cost of moving those files? By overhead, I am talking of course about using windows to pass the files from diskX to user share X coming from the server, through the windows PC over the network, and back to the unraid server into the user share. I am guessing parity would be maintained without issue during this entire process, but the overhead cost of doing this might be a little high for some people, especially when talking about moving large amounts of data. People with these unraid servers can be dealing with terabytes worth of data, and I am only asking because it would seem to me, that it would be faster to perform these larger types of operations from within the server itself in a nice little GUI, as opposed to the CLI. I like using midnight commander, but this bug kind of has me worried a bit. MC is easy for my to use, and I imagine almost anyone can figure it out as well.

Thoughts or comments?

So I hate to bring up old topics, but this thread came up in a search option when I was researching midnight commander. My main question is about the bug that was just talked about, when moving files from disks to user shares or vice versa. Is this still an issue that anybody knows about, or has this been solved yet? I cannot find anything else about it when I search for it. I am guessing if you wanted to moves files in this manner (from disk to user share, or vice versa) you would just use Windows to do it, and suck up the overhead cost of moving those files? By overhead, I am talking of course about using windows to pass the files from diskX to user share X coming from the server, through the windows PC over the network, and back to the unraid server into the user share. I am guessing parity would be maintained without issue during this entire process, but the overhead cost of doing this might be a little high for some people, especially when talking about moving large amounts of data. People with these unraid servers can be dealing with terabytes worth of data, and I am only asking because it would seem to me, that it would be faster to perform these larger types of operations from within the server itself in a nice little GUI, as opposed to the CLI. I like using midnight commander, but this bug kind of has me worried a bit. MC is easy for my to use, and I imagine almost anyone can figure it out as well.

Thoughts or comments?

Using Windows will not save you from the User Share Copy Bug.