Mover leaving copies of files on Cache Drive (Disks Full...?)

I am running unRAID Server Plus version 5.0.5 with a cache drive which has been working perfectly up until recently.

Recently the mover has left copies of files on the Cache drive.  Originally I thought it was a problem outlined in this thread Extended Attributes Fix and I did try running what was recommended but found I was getting the below repeatedly so I assumed this was not the problem.

root@unraid:~#
getfattr –d /mnt/disk1/Movies
getfattr: –d: No such file or directory
root@unraid:~#

I then noted that 3 or my 4 drives are full,

Drivestatus2.JPG

Would this be causing the problem and am I doing something stupid here - should the mover not know to use the free 4th disk?  Also - is there a way to 'spread' out the data so I do not have 3 drives sitting full or does this not really matter?

Snippet from the system log file (Full system log attached)

Aug  8 03:49:51 unraid logger: ./TV Shows/Vampire Diaries/Season 5/The Vampire Diaries.S05E22.Home.tbn
Aug  8 03:49:51 unraid logger: .d..t...... ./
Aug  8 03:49:51 unraid logger: >f.stpog... TV Shows/Vampire Diaries/Season 5/The Vampire Diaries.S05E22.Home.tbn
Aug  8 03:49:51 unraid shfs/user0: shfs_write: write: (28) No space left on device
Aug  8 03:49:51 unraid logger: rsync: write failed on "/mnt/user0/TV Shows/Vampire Diaries/Season 5/The Vampire Diaries.S05E22.Home.tbn": No space left on device (28)
Aug  8 03:49:51 unraid logger: rsync error: error in file IO (code 11) at receiver.c(302) [receiver=3.0.7]
Aug  8 03:49:51 unraid logger: rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (32 bytes received so far) [sender]
Aug  8 03:49:51 unraid logger: rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(601) [sender=3.0.7]
Aug  8 03:49:51 unraid logger: ./TV Shows/Vampire Diaries/Season 5/The Vampire Diaries.S05E20.What Lies Beneath.mkv
Aug  8 03:49:51 unraid logger: .d..t...... ./

Any other information required let me know.  Thanks!

syslog.txt

With a split level of 1, only the top level folder (TV Shows) can be replicated across disks.  Any file that is in a sub-folder of this will be constrained to the disk where the sub-folder was originally created.  I think that this is the cause of your problem.

I think you will either need to increase the split-level to change the type of splitting of files across disks, or give up the use of split-levels at all.  What are you actually trying to achieve with the value that you set?

Regardless of the way you go it may be sensible to do some manual moving of some folders between disk level shares (not user shares) to get the files more like the distribution you want (simply changing a split-level setting in unRAID does not apply to existing files - only to new ones).

I also note that you are using the default high-water allocation method.  This tends to deliberately fill a disk up to the half-way mark on free-space before moving onto the next.  This is good idea to minimise the number of disks that spin up when browsing shares, but does mean that data tends to be spread less evenly.

Thanks - reading up on split levels I see what you mean I think.  I have all my folders (movies, DVDR Rips, Music Videos Etc...) set to level 1.  I have TV Shows set to level 2.  My thinking here originally from memory was I just wanted to make sure the TV seasons of a particular show did not get spread across multiple disks.  For the movies I wanted to keep all the files within a movie folder on the same disk but did not care what disk the movie went on.  So my movie share is simply 'unraid\movies\movie folder'  Is my setup wrong here then?  Should I be knocking all the shares down to split level 2 and TV Shows down to level 3?

I will setup the minimum free space as well.  I think I understand the allocation of high-water OK I am satisfied this is the right setting for me ATM.

Last night I started the process of manually moving some of the files off the disks which were full.  The mover has run last night and this seems to have solved the problem as it has successful moved some (not all yet as I need to free some space up on some more disks) of the files from it.  I will test further here now.

Thanks!

Thanks - reading up on split levels I see what you mean I think.  I have all my folders (movies, DVDR Rips, Music Videos Etc...) set to level 1.  I have TV Shows set to level 2.  My thinking here originally from memory was I just wanted to make sure the TV seasons of a particular show did not get spread across multiple disks.  For the movies I wanted to keep all the files within a movie folder on the same disk but did not care what disk the movie went on.  So my movie share is simply 'unraid\movies\movie folder'  Is my setup wrong here then?  Should I be knocking all the shares down to split level 2 and TV Shows down to level 3?

These settings actually look correct for the usage you describe.

With the high-water allocation method you probably ended up creating all your TV Show folders on one of the early disks and then as you add additional shows they get constrained to the disk where the show folder was originally created.  Moving some of them manually to other disks will alleviate this issue.

I will setup the minimum free space as well.  I think I understand the allocation of high-water OK I am satisfied this is the right setting for me ATM.

Setting the min-free-space is a good idea as it can force unRAID to move to another disk, although in my experience it only becomes important when the disks are getting really full.  I personally switched to the 'most free' allocation method once I had the split levels behaving as I wanted them.

Last night I started the process of manually moving some of the files off the disks which were full.  The mover has run last night and this seems to have solved the problem as it has successful moved some (not all yet as I need to free some space up on some more disks) of the files from it.  I will test further here now.

I suspect this will solve your problems.  You may want to watch for a while which disk new files are ending up on to check that the split level settings are giving the desired results.

Thanks itimpi - I have done what you suggested and manually sorted through my shares abit and then updated my allocation method to 'most free' so hopefully that will sort everything.  The mover problem were traces of the files were being left has now been completely sorted.

Thanks for you time - appreciated.