Network Speed

This has likely been addressed before ... but I've looked for a couple hours and can't seem to find it ...

If I don't assign a parity drive, I can copy files to my UnRAID server with ~45-50 MB/s throughput.  But if I copy files FROM the UnRAID server it's MUCH slower (~ 1/3rd of that).  All PC's have gigabit adapters with a gigabit router & switch connecting them.  The UnRAID server and main PC are both connected directly to the router ... but the symptoms are identical with the PC's that go through the switch.

Am I missing a parameter I need to set in UnRAID?  Or is this simply a function of the specific network adapter?  [The UnRAID server is on an Intel D875PBZ motherboard that uses an Intel Pro1000 adapter.]

• 11 months later...
Guest smnas

Multiple factors can hamper read/write speeds to your unRAID server:

1). Network speed. Are you using a Gigabit network connection to and from your guests and unRAID server?

2). Is the switch or other networking devices (if your using one) using full duplex Gigabit ports?

3). Are you using a newer CAT5e or CAT6 grade patch leads on your network?

4). Are you using Windows Vista? Windows Vista has been known for slower file copying speeds, though SP1 fixes this, and improved in some scenarios by 85%.

5). Try using a file copying application like TeraCopy. This improves file transfer speeds by adjusting the bits per second, depending on the files that your copying.

6). In a normal unRAID setup with a Parity Drive in place, unRAID is always going to be slower than other NAS storage solutions, like FreeNAS for example. Other solutions use traditional RAID structures, but unRAID uses unique RAID structure, which is built for redundancy, not speed.

If your concerned about speed, unRAID might not be for you, but if your concerned about redundancy and expandability, you really can't go past unRAID.

This has likely been addressed before ... but I've looked for a couple hours and can't seem to find it ...

If I don't assign a parity drive, I can copy files to my UnRAID server with ~45-50 MB/s throughput.   But if I copy files FROM the UnRAID server it's MUCH slower (~ 1/3rd of that).   All PC's have gigabit adapters with a gigabit router & switch connecting them.   The UnRAID server and main PC are both connected directly to the router ... but the symptoms are identical with the PC's that go through the switch.

Am I missing a parameter I need to set in UnRAID?   Or is this simply a function of the specific network adapter?  [The UnRAID server is on an Intel D875PBZ motherboard that uses an Intel Pro1000 adapter.]

It is a factor of the rotational speed of the two disks involved.

See this post: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=256.msg1825#msg1825

Do you a have a antivirus/firewall product installed. I am using symantec end point protection and it caused my read speed from unraid to the pc by one third. If i disable it I easly get 40 Mbytes per  sec and writes to the unraid at about 30 Mbytes per sec. When the firewall is enable then the read speed dropped to about 15. I a using unraid 4.5 final and Windows XP.

John

Archived