Adaptec RAID 31605 16-Channel Storage controller PCIe 8x

smino

I noticed that ADAPTEC had the following on their website:

Open Source Support

Adaptec is fully committed to supporting the Linux operating environment. The focus of these web pages is to give you the current Linux support status for Adaptec RAID code ("ARC")-based products.

Strong Linux Commitment

At Adaptec, we're committed to providing resources that make it easier for you to develop Linux solutions with our products. We've added a repository of information for our open source solutions, which includes:

Latest Adaptec Open Source drivers

List of officially supported Linux distributions

List of Linux kernels and distributions which contain Adaptec Open Source Linux drivers

FAQs

Here are some additional items that we provide in support of the Linux community:

* Adaptec RAID drivers are embedded in the Linux kernel today.

* We work aggressively to have our RAID drivers embedded in future Linux kernel distributions.

* We continue to update the list of Linux distributions that contain our Open Source Linux drivers

Adaptec also supports other open-source projects and operating systems, including FreeBSD, and actively works with the open source community by giving away free sample products to developers in exchange for developing drivers and interfaces for our products (e.g. for OpenBSD).

Officially supported Linux distributions for ARC-based products (both x86 and x86 64bit)

* Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 Update4

* Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5

* SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) 9

* SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) 10

Other Linux kernels and distributions which include support for ARC-based products (both x86 and x86 64 bit)

* Red Hat 7.3/8.0/9.0 (x86)

* Red Hat Advanced Server 2.1

* Fedora Core 1/2/3/4/5/6

* Red Hat Advanced Server / Enterprise Server / Workstation 3 original and update1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8

* Red Hat Advanced Server / Enterprise Server / Workstation 4 original and update 2, 3

* CentOS 3.0/3.1/3.2/3.3/3.5/3.6/3.7/3.8

* CentOS 4.0/4.2/4.3

* SUSE Linux Professional 9.3/10/10.1/10.2

* SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) 9 SP2/SP3

* SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 8

* Mandriva

* Debian Sarge 3.1

* Scientific Linux 3.08/4.4

* Ubuntu Linux 6.10 and above

* Linux 2.4.2 kernel or greater includes a driver

* Linux 2.6.14 kernel or greater includes a driver

Does that mean that UNRAID which is based on a newer version of "Linux 2.6.14 kernel or greater includes a driver" would also support RAID controllers?

I noticed that ADAPTEC had the following on their website:

Open Source Support

Adaptec is fully committed to supporting the Linux operating environment. The focus of these web pages is to give you the current Linux support status for Adaptec RAID code ("ARC")-based products.

Strong Linux Commitment

At Adaptec, we're committed to providing resources that make it easier for you to develop Linux solutions with our products. We've added a repository of information for our open source solutions, which includes:

Latest Adaptec Open Source drivers

List of officially supported Linux distributions

List of Linux kernels and distributions which contain Adaptec Open Source Linux drivers

FAQs

Here are some additional items that we provide in support of the Linux community:

* Adaptec RAID drivers are embedded in the Linux kernel today.

* We work aggressively to have our RAID drivers embedded in future Linux kernel distributions.

* We continue to update the list of Linux distributions that contain our Open Source Linux drivers

Adaptec also supports other open-source projects and operating systems, including FreeBSD, and actively works with the open source community by giving away free sample products to developers in exchange for developing drivers and interfaces for our products (e.g. for OpenBSD).

Officially supported Linux distributions for ARC-based products (both x86 and x86 64bit)

* Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 Update4

* Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5

* SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) 9

* SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) 10

Other Linux kernels and distributions which include support for ARC-based products (both x86 and x86 64 bit)

* Red Hat 7.3/8.0/9.0 (x86)

* Red Hat Advanced Server 2.1

* Fedora Core 1/2/3/4/5/6

* Red Hat Advanced Server / Enterprise Server / Workstation 3 original and update1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8

* Red Hat Advanced Server / Enterprise Server / Workstation 4 original and update 2, 3

* CentOS 3.0/3.1/3.2/3.3/3.5/3.6/3.7/3.8

* CentOS 4.0/4.2/4.3

* SUSE Linux Professional 9.3/10/10.1/10.2

* SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) 9 SP2/SP3

* SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 8

* Mandriva

* Debian Sarge 3.1

* Scientific Linux 3.08/4.4

* Ubuntu Linux 6.10 and above

* Linux 2.4.2 kernel or greater includes a driver

* Linux 2.6.14 kernel or greater includes a driver

Does that mean that UNRAID which is based on a newer version of "Linux 2.6.14 kernel or greater includes a driver" would also support RAID controllers?

No, it might have the driver, or it might not.  unRAID contains a subset of drivers from the full distribution.

You would need to know the specific kernel driver module the card needed.  Then you could see if it is in the current release. 

Now, if you put together a development Slackware machine, and compiled the driver module yourself, and built your own distribution, it *might* work.  (If the driver was reliable and worked in JBOD mode)

Do a bit more investigation, see what kernel module is involved, then perhaps try loading that module into memory on a stock version of unRAID.

insmod module_name

If it loads, it *might* work... it it is not there....

Joe L.

I have an LSI card http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=3109.0  right now and it also depends on what the drives are recognized as.  Mine are SATA drives and instead of being recognized as scsi they are sas.  This beta version was suppose to fix this bug but hasn't and I'm waiting on a resposne from Tom.

Depending on if you can return the card without a restocking fee (or if you know you can resell it).  The best way to see if it works is to try it.

Erik

My guess is that this is not supported at this time.   You could send an email to Tom and request that support be added.

There was a recent post about a 4x 8 port card from SuperMicro that might be in the $100 - $150 price range.  Tom wil hopefully add support for that one, which is realistically more likely to be purchased by unRAID customers.

My guess is that this is not supported at this time.   You could send an email to Tom and request that support be added.

There was a recent post about a 4x 8 port card from SuperMicro that might be in the $100 - $150 price range.  Tom wil hopefully add support for that one, which is realistically more likely to be purchased by unRAID customers.

Not to mention that it'll likely to be included in future Limetech servers. It's supposed to start shipping next week and be $100ish. Two sas to sata cables will add $30 to the total cost.

The card is pretty cheap for a 16 port, running about 489$ right now. I am not sure it includes the cables (50$ or so worst case).

$550 is a lot of green to plunk down all at once on a controller + cables.  You could set up a whole starter array with 3 1T drvies for about that!

I expect that when the 8 port Supermicro board is available for ~$100, it will be much more popular.

Since Tom is actively developing a new beta as we speak nows the time to see if we can find out what it needs to suport it. This is exactly what happened when i requested the 8 port PCI version of this many moons ago.

Top card hope it lives up to the hype (expect it will have alot of respect for supermicro - non flashy just works kinda kit)

It all boils down to performance. First I want to get off my pci Promise cards, and I would love to have a raid parity drive and cache drive if it were possible to increase overall performance. The best I get right now is 25-40MB/s. Hence the need for speed! If I hit 80-90MB/s I would be happy with that as write speeds to the cache drive.

You might be hitting gigabit practical speed limts.

There was a good writeup by bubbaQ a while back that explained why gigabit lan isn't faster than it is.

Follow this link, then click on the link that says "Gigabit Speed Explained" (near the bottom of the section).

Getting your cache disk off of the PCI bus will not improve read or write performance in any significant way.

Getting drives off of the PCI bus provides faster parity checks, but not much else for most users.

GigE limit...hmmm...

I'll have to do a disk to disk transfer and see what I get.

I could swear I used to get more when using AIX.

What kind of speeds are the rest of you getting when transferring from XP to Unraid cache?

Are you in the same range? Anyone getting better?

If GigE is the limit, then there is no point in getting an SSD device to help out the write performance.

So then network Teaming would be the next step. Has anyone done this?

I am constantly moving files 8-12GB about 10-15 files a day. It would be nice to see them move over faster...

without going nuts and using 4Gb/s HBA's ...grin. 10 GigE is out soon right!

Just checked, at 1500$ for 1 single port nic...I guess I might have to live with it.