Help with cache drive options

shoemoney

Hello community long time lurker first time poster. 

I have a setup with 5 4TB (1 is parity) drives and using a usb key for the boot drive.

I opted to make full use of all the sata cables for the parity/array instead of adding a cache drive.  At first I didn't think it would be that big of deal and I installed apps on the array (which I realize now why people say not to do it).

So basically I need a cache drive solution.  Problem is my rig is jam packed with drives.

The way I figure it I have 3 possible solutions (that I can think of).

Use a usb key as a cache drive (probably will burn out?) - super cheap

Use a usb external drive (not really ideal).  - cheap

Get a PCI - Express card with a drive on the card  -  not cheap.

I am leaning strongly to getting this - Plextor M6e Series 128GB PCI Express Internal Solid State Drive PX-AG128M6e -  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J69VMB2/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00J69VMB2&linkCode=as2&tag=nextpifreenex-20&linkId=WVKPCCWY3HG5ZUHS

I am sure its probably way overkill for a cache drive but I would love to hear if anyone else has any more rational solutions.

Thanks!

No ports or power ports left.  Room is fairly tight but I could stick a velcro drive in.  4 drives in top and one in a 5.25 to 3.5 adapter on right bottom side.

Its a 2u unit so not a lot of room but some on the left hand side I could stick something on with double stick tape but I would have to get another controller and power right? 

Here is a pick for reference :

IMG_2468-20140903-174133.jpg

*UPDATE*

Ok so I got the card.  First off its a full sized PCI card and was too big for my 2u unit.  oups...

However  I wanted to see if it was even compatible.  So put it in the slot and was kind of surprised that it was detected.  Stopped my array assigned this drive as cache fired it back up and formatted.

Dreamweaver-20140904-153857.jpg

All was well.  Did some write/read test for an hour and everything was great.

So then got some tin snips and did a little adaptation to make it fit perfectly.

Before:

IMG_2471-20140904-154046.jpg

After (ghetto rigged) :

IMG_2476-20140904-154204.jpg

Thanks for all the replies.  Pumped to start moving stuff over that was installed on the array.

Unless it recently changed, you can't assign USB drives to be part of the array.

Ya this is for the cache drive (or static drive) however you want to refer to it as.  It wont be in the array

I was referring to any drive that you assign on the main unRAID page.

this is true because USB drives are not automounted in unraid, and even then, they are not normally mounted to /dev/sdX devices.

Unless it recently changed, you can't assign USB drives to be part of the array.

Ya this is for the cache drive (or static drive) however you want to refer to it as.  It wont be in the array

I was referring to any drive that you assign on the main unRAID page.

this is true because USB drives are not automounted in unraid, and even then, they are not normally mounted to /dev/sdX devices.

Yes you are absolutely correct.  When I referred to it as a cache/static drive I should have included that I was going to mount it manually and use it statically outside the array for applications outside of the array.  I should have been more explicit in what I meant by static drive.