how to format/re-partition non-array drive?

I would like to add a non-array drive to my server to use for some plugins but I am having trouble with multiple partitions. For some reason the drive I pulled from an old Windows server is showing up as having 3 partitions. I don't have the option to reformat the drive in unMenu.

How can I repartition and then reformat the drive at the console so I just have one large drive? Once done how do I set it to auto mount on reboot? (and give it a name to make it easier to track)

I would like to add a non-array drive to my server to use for some plugins but I am having trouble with multiple partitions. For some reason the drive I pulled from an old Windows server is showing up as having 3 partitions. I don't have the option to reformat the drive in unMenu.

How can I repartition and then reformat the drive at the console so I just have one large drive? Once done how do I set it to auto mount on reboot? (and give it a name to make it easier to track)

The easiest way to partition/format it would be to attach it to a Linux/PC/Mac system and use gparted which gives you a graphical interface for doing this.  Bootable CD images are freely available for temporarily booting PC/Mac systems straight into gparted without installing anything on the hard disk.

If you want to do partitioning from a telnet/console session in unRAID then you should use the 'gdisk' utility.  Formatting would then be done via an appropriate variant of the 'mkfs' command.

I am going to do the same thing in a few days. Add an SSD mounted outside the arrray as my docker disk.

I am going to use the gparted live usb version to boot that on my htpc and connect the ssd and format it to ext4. I dont want to detach all my harddisk connections in my server, so my htpc is way easier to work with. And when i format a disk, I only want that ONE disk running. Way to easy to f**k things up....

Then i am going to put the newly formatted ssd into my server and mount it via the SNAP plugin (for unraid v5 & for unraid v6) at boot. I am yet not quite sure how SNAP works, but i guess it will be pretty straight forward and easy to work with

If you want to do partitioning from a telnet/console session in unRAID then you should use the 'gdisk' utility.  Formatting would then be done via an appropriate variant of the 'mkfs' command.

Yes, this is what I want to do. The question was how? (what are the correct commands to use to not F it up)

Archived