Thinking of Upgrading . your thoughts....

Currently I am running an AMD Phenom II x2 555 Processor with 8gb of Ram the MoBo is an MSI i think... 2gb Parity Drive  and 4-2tb Drives.  There is nothing wrong with my system. just my case is crappy and falling apart. not to mention loud. and not very good airflow.  I've been doing some looking around and found the following..

Silver Stone Case SST-DS380B (black)

AMD A10-7850K Kaveri 12 Compute Cores (4 CPU + 8 GPU) 3.7GHz Socket FM2+ 95W Desktop Processor AMD Radeon R7 series AD785KXBJABOX

8gb Ram

MSI A88XI AC FM2+ / FM2 AMD A88X (Bolton D4) HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX AMD Motherboard

Syba SI-PEX40071 Sata Controller Card

Let me know your thoughts, opinions, recommendations.

What are you planning to do with all of that GPU power?  Perhaps, a some better question(s) would be: 

Which version of unRAID are you planning to run? 

What plugins (beside apcupsd, powerdown, and cache directories) are you planning on running? 

Are you moving your old hard drives over to the new setup or are you planning on new HDs?

The reason, I mention this is that you say you are replacing a system that has nothing wrong with it.  Yet, if you don't update the drives, you are ignoring the most likely items to fail in the near term. 

I am really surprised that none of the Intel supporters have jumped in here.  I would think that an Intel i3 would have the horsepower necessary to handle this job and consume a whole lot less power.  That would mean the cooling requirements would be much lower and thus lower noise levels would follow.  While the graphics horsepower is much less with the i3, you really don't need the GPU horsepower that is on the A10-7850K even if you are going to serve up 1080p video.  That GPU would really make a difference if you were intending to use this setup for game playing. 

So, what you are saying is all the video decoding and streaming takes place at the cpu and ram?

That is my understanding.  (I would guess that writing code to use a particular GPU-- as they are all different--- is a headache.  And you still have to provide the code for the cpu for those cases where there is no GPU. That is why Plex takes so much horsepower when you are planning to transcode video on the fly.)  You might want to check in the Plex thread to see what is required.  I believe you would be looking in the 'Plugin Design' section.

Currently I am running an AMD Phenom II x2 555 Processor with 8gb of Ram the MoBo is an MSI i think... 2gb Parity Drive  and 4-2tb Drives.  There is nothing wrong with my system. just my case is crappy and falling apart. not to mention loud. and not very good airflow.  I've been doing some looking around and found the following..

Silver Stone Case SST-DS380B (black)

AMD A10-7850K Kaveri 12 Compute Cores (4 CPU + 8 GPU) 3.7GHz Socket FM2+ 95W Desktop Processor AMD Radeon R7 series AD785KXBJABOX

8gb Ram

MSI A88XI AC FM2+ / FM2 AMD A88X (Bolton D4) HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX AMD Motherboard

Syba SI-PEX40071 Sata Controller Card

Let me know your thoughts, opinions, recommendations.

How does plex run on your current rig?  If it runs fine then I would just upgrade the case and call it a day..  If its a bit slow then I would stay in the AMD family and move to one of the 6 core processors and new MB. 

Hey there NTRLSUR... my rig runs fine.  except that it is loud and it does not have good air ventilation.  I used an old case and threw a cage in the slot where the 5 1/4  devices go.  It was always suppose to be a temp case.  All I want is a good case that I can expand a little more good air flow and plenty of horse power to run my streams.