windows 7 VM requires user/password to connect to unRAID, other machines don't

So, I don't have user permissions setup on my server, and all the machines in my home can connect to unRAID as long as they are in the same workgroup.  None are asking for a username and password.

I just installed a new windows7 VM, and when i try to map a drive on the server, or navigate to it under "network" it's asking me for a username and password.

I suspect it's something to do with how the network is setup in the VM, but I don't know where to start looking at how to resolve this.

Anyone got any ideas on how to fix this problem?

So, I don't have user permissions setup on my server, and all the machines in my home can connect to unRAID as long as they are in the same workgroup.  None are asking for a username and password.

I just installed a new windows7 VM, and when i try to map a drive on the server, or navigate to it under "network" it's asking me for a username and password.

I suspect it's something to do with how the network is setup in the VM, but I don't know where to start looking at how to resolve this.

Anyone got any ideas on how to fix this problem?

You have to login with username: guest and no password.  This drove me buggy for an entire day.

Do both of you not have a password set for your windows username?  You have to have a username and password set for security reasons to connect to network shares.  Or you have to use username: guest and no password. 

Do both of you not have a password set for your windows username?  You have to have a username and password set for security reasons to connect to network shares.  Or you have to use username: guest and no password.

I have one setup for my Windows machine on my laptop, but not one for the VM.  I turned off all user security in unRAID, so I figured this wouldn't be necessary.

I'll add a user to match the VM windows install, and see if that resolves it.

Good thinking, and thanks again.

I have one setup for my Windows machine on my laptop, but not one for the VM.  I turned off all user security in unRAID, so I figured this wouldn't be necessary.

I'll add a user to match the VM windows install, and see if that resolves it.

Good thinking, and thanks again.

It doesn't have to match or anything just can't be blank. The vm I just setup is username user and password password.  I just always setup a username/password for windows for this reason then run "control userpasswords2" to have it autologin

It doesn't have to match or anything just can't be blank. The vm I just setup is username user and password password.  I just always setup a username/password for windows for this reason then run "control userpasswords2" to have it autologin

I'll have to investigate this, sounds clever!

Sometimes when you setup the username and password to autologin it doesn't work on the next boot but set it up again and it works.

I do have a username and password on my windows VM, but it still requires me to login with guest and no password.  I've tried logging in with both the windows VM credentials and unraid credentials and neither worked.

I also find that the control userpasswords2 doesn't always stick, which is pretty annoying.  I'm surprised to hear that it's not just me.