Sharing UPS by installing NUT

Hi,

I've got my unraid server for media, and a Synology DS414 for my documents and backup of unraid.  The problem is I want them both on my APC Backup RS1000 UPS.  The Synology uses NUT as it's UPS software, and I have apcupsd on my unraid system.  They both work great, but won't talk to eachother.

So, is it possible to install NUT on unraid?  There are some posts about it from years ago, but no one seemed to actually get it running.

I googled :) and found this slackware version http://slackbuilds.org/repository/13.37/system/nut/

Would that work on unraid?  I'm still learning linux as I go so I'm not sure can get it set up right.  Anyone willing to help or make a plg for me?

I believe nut can work through a network, in fact I would be surprised if it didn't.

I know apcupsd would.  I do not know about that version of nut you link. The only way to know is to install it.

Then do ldd on the binary to see if all the libraries are available.

Right now I'm buried in a suite of tools to create checksums for all of my files for validation.

The last potential reiserfs corruption issue scared me and I need to be sure my data is valid or will notify me if something goes wrong.

So I haven't spent any time on nut or apcupsd or a UPS right now.

If I do go with something it will probably be nut since I found there is a version for ESX and I run ESX.

Thanks WeeboTech.  I just thought I would ask.  Maybe someone else has some time for this little project.  I'm happy to help, I just can't do it alone.

I think NUT would produce a better UPS experience for users because it can work with a higher number of UPS devices.  Getting an APC in Australia is damn expensive.  I got a old one from a friend who saved a few things from the dump when he was working on a refit, and with new batteries it's running fine.  Also a lot of commercial NAS units are using it, Synology, ReadyNAS, Thecus etc so it wouldn't hurt for them to be able to talk to each other without having to hack them.

I'm not very experienced with this stuff, it feels like stumbling around in the dark to me.  I get the general idea of what the nut package is trying to do by going over the code.  Here's some issues I think might be an issue.  If anyone can point me in the right direction or assist in getting this running I would really appreciate it, and who knows maybe a plg will get created.

Issues I can see.

1.  The NUT installer needs a create a "group" and a "user" called "NUT"  I can create a users, but unraid doesn't even mention groups.  NUTUSER=${NUTUSER:-nut}  NUTGROUP=${NUTGROUP:-nut}

2.  One thing I've always struggled with linux/unraid is finding usr files in a headless system.  I assume the conf files would be best placed on the flash.  Are they just copied to the relevant area on start up?

3.  Power down will have to be unraid customised I assume because it's a NAS rather than a PC running slackware.  I've already got it installed but it would need to be called.

The conf file should be the easy bit once it's running.  I've gathered lots of info about configuration, and the documentation is pretty good.

If anyone is willing to help, put your hand up... please! :)

I would like to get it working for a network more than anything so my Synology can be master, and unraid the slave.

Did you post up any progress when you tried BRiT?  I just wondered where you had issues that's all.

This was in a full Slackware 13.1 environment, not unraid, but NUT would not recognize the USB connected ups at all. The install went fine with 0 issues, it just couldn't see the ups.

• 9 months later...

Hi avpap,

Try here which is a thread someone just started.  http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=41424.0 and you could also put APCUPSD on the Synology but that involves some extra work, and folk advised it invalidated the warranty, so I didn't go there.

I gave up in the end and bought a HP G8 microserver and used my second key.  I installed V6, got my head around docker, and now I have my unraid server running all the features of my DS414 synology box and it all talks to my HP N40L running V6 too! :)

• 2 weeks later...