Is anyone using a PCI NIC card with UnRAID?

Roscoe62

The onboard ethernet port on my motherboard (Asus P5PE-VM) has just died, and I'd like to know if anyone is using a PCI network card successfully with UnRAID.

I think I'd prefer to go down this path because I've already seen one report of the ethernet port dying on this card (apart from mine) and it will be a LOT less work installing a new NIC as opposed to pulling the server apart and reconstructing it with a replacement m/board.

Thanks for any/all replies

Anyone? I'm getting desperate - we've been a week since our onboard NIC failed and I'm copping an earful from the wife.  :'(

All I need is a PCI Gigabit LAN card that is proven to be compatible with UnRAID. That's the only difference between us having a live UnRAID server or a boat anchor.

Going out on a limb a bit - just about any GigE PCI network card will probably work.  If you find in the description something about "linux 2.4.x" support, then there's a good chance a driver exists for it.  If not, we can pretty quickly turn a release adding the necessary support.

Some candidates:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833156139

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833180026

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833106122

Presumably Tom, the Intel one is the best bet as you deffo already support the Intel chipset from the original onboard ethernet on your originally suggested motherboard?

(Thinking about buying an extra card as a spare in case this ever happens to me, as I need to buy a new GigE switch and net card for my existing main PC anyway).

Ta,

Matt :)

Thanks for the reply Tom.

It's frustrating in that very few online retailers give information such as what chip the card is based around, whether Linux is supported, or if it is, what version of Linux.

Anyway, in order to save time and to be safe I just ordered an Intel PRO1000 card. It is a LOT more expensive than the other cards, but then again I need this thing to be reliable.

Hopefully this will do the job.

Thanks for posting the confirmation Musicmann, it's nice to see that the money hasn't been wasted - although you did really well to get that card for $20.

Hopefully it'll arrive in time for me to install it on the weekend.

Apart from disabling the onboard NIC in the BIOS, is there anything else I have to do in UnRAID?

Cheers

• 2 months later...