Unable to delete files from disk10 in MC; says "Read-only file system (30)"

JustinChase

So, I'm trying to move everything from disk10 to disk5 so I can re-format disk10 to XFS.  I tried moving files last night, but this morning I see an error about read only files.

So, I ran the new perms script on disk10, then tried again, still failed.  So, I shut down and rebooted the server, then tried again, still failed.  Ran newperms again, still failed.

I'm now just trying to delete the files on disk10, since they are already copied to disk5, but I get the message above about read only.

Here's the permissions I see...

root@media:/mnt/disk10/backup# ls -l
total 0
drwxrwxrwx+  2 nobody users 200 Sep 23 15:26 Amazon/
drwxrwxrwx+  3 nobody users  72 Jul  2 11:38 Chris/
drwxrwxrwx+  4 nobody users 216 Oct 31 11:42 Drivers/
drwxrwxrwx+  4 nobody users  96 Jul 31 03:16 Phone\ Tools/
drwxrwxrwx+  3 nobody users  72 May  3  2014 Quicken/
drwxrwxrwx+ 10 nobody users 400 Oct 30 17:19 things\ that\ I\ want\ to\ keep/
drwxrwxrwx+  5 nobody users 160 Oct 27 00:53 unRAID/
root@media:/mnt/disk10/backup# cd Drivers
root@media:/mnt/disk10/backup/Drivers# ls -l
total 141779
drwxrwxrwx+  4 nobody users       200 Oct 26 21:25 ASRock\ Fatal1ty\ Z87\ Pro/
drwxrwxrwx+ 14 nobody users       680 Nov  9 13:14 ASUS\ S500CA-US71T/
-rw-rw-rw-+  1 nobody users   3395584 Sep 26  2013 gplpv_Vista2008x64_signed_0.11.0.372.msi
-rw-rw-rw-+  1 nobody users 141640448 Jul 28 21:44 win64_153322.exe

What's going on here?

My suspicion is that you have some sort of file system corruption at the ReiserFS level.  If this is detected then the disk is mounted as read-only which would explain your symptoms.  A syslog would probably clarify if this is the case as ResierFS issues should show up there.

If file system corruption is the problem, then the issue would resolve itself when you reformat the disk to XFS.  On that basis when all data has been copied off you can proceed with switching the disk format to be XFS.

I didn't notice any issues with this until today, when I was trying to move the files.  How could/would/should I check the other remaining reiserfs drives?  how about the xfs drives, can/should I check those?

I hope they get a new beta with 'better' integrity checking in place, for this kind of thing.

I didn't notice any issues with this until today, when I was trying to move the files.  How could/would/should I check the other remaining reiserfs drives?  how about the xfs drives, can/should I check those?

I hope they get a new beta with 'better' integrity checking in place, for this kind of thing.

If you want to check integrity then you put the array into maintenance mode and then from a console/telnet session run reiserfsck (for ReiserFS) or xfs_repair (for XFS) against the /dev/md? device corresponding to a particular disk number.  These tools can also repair the majority of corruptions of this type.    BTRFS has its own tool - not sure if it as mature as those for the other two FS types.

Archived