Migrating from v5 to v6

mdoom

Hello,

I'm looking to migrate from v5 to v6 for several of the new features.  64 bit, docker, trim support on cache drive with new file systems, etc.  And before I start this journey, I just wanted to ask the community for some guidance to make sure I don't really mess things up. :)

Currently I am using some common apps, mostly Phaze plugins. (Plex, sonarr, couchpotato, sab) and I know I want to eventually get everything into Docker versions.  I'm concerned though about losing any app settings along the way.  Not that its the end of the world if I do, but still, its an annoyance.

So I guess I'm curious if anyone can provide some insight into order of events, or some links to other threads that may be assistance.  The basic install instructions for v6 seem straight forward (Backup config, start fresh, restore config) but the process in getting a BTRFS cache drive, with docker installed, and not losing app information, and then getting my array as XFS, seem a bit fuzzy for me. 

I'm sure some of that, esp. getting array as XFS is a task I can work on once fully running on v6 one drive at a time.

Thank you in advance.

Note that it is no longer a requirement that you have a BTRFS drive for running docker.  Instead docker containers are now loaded into a 'virtual disk' that is held as a normal file.

In terms of setting up docker containers, one of the steps is normally to point the container to an external location that holds the users configuration information.  It is highly likely that existing configuration information can be taken forward largely unchanged.

Thank you itimpi!  That is promising regarding the pointing to external locations.  I'll still have full backup of my cache drive and usb drive to be safe.

I did run across the fact that you no longer need BTRFS on the cache drive for docker, but don't you still need BTRFS for trim support?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived