Internal SATA> USB2 rack enclosures

NAS

I have a need for SATA rack enclosure that fits in a normal 5.25" slot. It also has to be USB on the backplane. This will obviously be slower however hot swap USB is pretty much fool proof whereas as hot swap SATA is anything but.

In my travels I will post links here of potential products.

If anyone finds this interesting and/or finds alternative products I am sure the community will appreciate your posts as well.

http://www.coolgear.com/productdetails1.cfm?sku=CGS-35UKS&cats=&catid=168,170,161

$23.98

SATA Mobile Rack with USB 2.0 Bridge Board Built In

CGS-35UKS.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Would/could  it show up as a share?

If you install the unMENU add-on, ( from here) you can use the buttons on its disk-management page to mount the drive and then share it on the LAN.

By default it is read-only, but you can also install the ntfs-3g driver (using the package manager in unMENU) and then edit the unmenu.conf file (using the config file editor in unMENU) to make the mount read/write for NTFS drives.

2w3n5zp.jpg

Above I've mounted a USB drive.  i've also got a button to share it on the LAN. (It is not "unioned" into user-shares, but exists as its own share)

Below, a user mounted and shared ALL his existing NTFS drives to evaluate unRAID on his old hardware.  He had NO protected drives at all:

2mx30wg.jpg