After replace a 1,5 TB with a 4TB hdd the new disk have a red ball

Eisi2005

Hi,

today i replace a 1,5 TB hdd with a 4tb hdd. After booting the server, unraid told me that disk 3 is wrong. What was the correct hdd i have replace. I select the new hdd for disk 3 and start the array. But then there is nothing. No webgui, no share. If i look through putty on the server i saw under /mnt/ disk 1 and 2 but no more disks.

Is this normal or what can i do ? I dont want to restart the server, because i dont know what happens in the background.

I´m using unraid 5

Could anyone give me a hint ?

syslog.zip

OK after waiting 18 hours i reboot the server because i could not connect to the webgui and to the share. After reboot i have the same problem. Then after 30 minutes i could connect to the webgui and the share was online.

When i look in the webgui i see that the new 4tb disk have a red ball. I could connect with samba to the new disk and i could see my movies and i could start my movies on that new disk.

In the logfile are errors , but i dont know what i must do ?

Could anyone take a look and give me a hint ?

Thanks

syslog.zip

OK after waiting 18 hours i reboot the server because i could not connect to the webgui and to the share. After reboot i have the same problem. Then after 30 minutes i could connect to the webgui and the share was online.

When i look in the webgui i see that the new 4tb disk have a red ball. I could connect with samba to the new disk and i could see my movies and i could start my movies on that new disk.

In the logfile are errors , but i dont know what i must do ?

Could anyone take a look and give me a hint ?

Thanks

When a disk red balls, unRaid uses the other disks in the array to simulate that disk, thus your shares will all operate. The speed is not quite as high but it might be hard to notice. In that condition the array is unprotected from a future failure. So if a second drive failed, you could lose the contents of 2 disks.

It is quote common, when adding a new disk or replacing an existing one that a bad or loose cable will cause a disk to red ball. This is at least 5x more common than a truly bad disk. The best way to know is to run a smart report on the red balled disk. Post the results and someone will help interpret it for you. You may need to reboot the server as a red balled disk often is disconnected from the server until after a reboot.

@bjp999

thanks for your answer. I have change the sata cable but the same problem. Then i try to start a short smarte report and a large smart report. but i dont kow if it was ok or not. Here is the last result. Hope anyone could say something to this report.

Thanks

When you replace the cables, the red ball will not go away. You have to go through a process to get it re-added to the array. So do not think that replacing is not effective just because the red ball does not go away when you reboot.

Did you preclear the new disk? The forum always recommends doing this, whether you need the preclear signature or not. The preclear runs the disk through its paces including reading, writing, and then re-reading every sector on the disk (and this is for a single cycle). This has the effect of identifying bad or marginal sectors on the disk.

Your smart report leads me to believe that you have not precleared it. It does look like you have attempted to run some of the built in  SMART tests. There is a short version and a long version. Based on your report, all of them have been canceled or failed with a read failure. I do not know what can cause a read failure (e.g., would powering it down in the middle of the test cause this result to be logged?), but maybe others can comment if this is a definitive diagnosis of a failed disk.

The ATA errors near the end are somewhat common when there is a cabling issue with the drive. They can also mean a bad disk. But in combination with your clear attributes, I would normally say you have a bad or loose cable (or had one when they happened). Note that ATA errors will never go away. They happened and were logged.

I would like to see a smart report on the 1.5T drive.

@bjp

thanks for your answer again. I have started some tests with the 4 tb hdd but they dont finished. I have run as example the long test for 5 hours an he remaining 90 %. Same with smart test. I get only read failure. I put back the 1.5 tb hdd to the slot and here he finished the smart test in 1-2 minutes.

Thanks

eisi

smart.txt

Archived