Reverting back to v5? Howto?

petebnas

Is there an easy option for reverting unraid back to v5 from v6Beta10a?

I've had constant problems (every few days) with my unraid system crashing since I've moved to v6Beta10 from v5... the system hangs, I can't telnet or get a console screen to look at any syslogs, and it sounds like the old syslogs just get wiped...  Typically only a hard boot fixes it...and when I start to get into heavy I/O (like accessing the NAS via a Windows 8.1 machine for a file copy while I'm doing a video conversion on a separate share, the Win OS hangs...and sometimes it ends with unraid going into an unresponsive state...or all my windows processes hang for a minute, then resume...or an app times out waiting on the nas and the copy job continues but the edit job cancels, etc.......  All sorts of wacky things that I didn't have to think about previously with v5.  For the time being, I'd just like to go back to my v5 normalcy. 

Not using any plugins or anything...

Pete

It should be easy, just install v5.0.6 (the latest at the moment).

* backup flash drive

* remove any plugins and customizations

* download and install desired UnRAID version, using its makebootable file

* restore necessary files from backed up flash drive copy, to the config folder on flash (such as super.dat, pro.key, *.cfg, etc)

HOWEVER ...

I strongly recommend that you try to obtain a syslog or 2 from the current 64 bit version.  How do you know what issues are stopping you, and may always stop you until they are identified and fixed?  Save a syslog before it crashes, and an additional syslog when something is going wrong yet it still allows you to save one.  Keep a syslog tail going on the monitor, and take a picture of it.  We need clues to what is failing.  Without some evidence of what the true issues are, you really cannot make good decisions.

Start with running an overnight Memtest (from the boot screen).  A 64 bit version uses memory differently, and may be exercising parts of the memory that the 32 bit version never touched.

Thanks... for now I just need to stabilize my system before I get too creative.  I'm trying to run fresh backups against it and really can't have the backup process crashing the server and running repeated parity checks due to unclean power downs...:)  I don't run a monitor on my system since it's usually not needed..  I'll get a backup in place and then jump back into troubleshooting. I see some other threads now with similar issues as well...

Pete

Archived