UPS Rackmount Recommendations

savestheday

Hi all,

I am trying to upgrade my current UPS to a rackmount UPS that lasts longer than my current one during power outages. I would like one that is fully APCUPSD/NUT compatible for when unRAID gets that ability. I don't really want to spend over $400-500. It does not need to have a network port but that would be nice. Any recommendations? Thanks!

Not a bad idea mr hexen. Any recommendations on a really good Smart UPS? APC is my preference.

@Frank1940 I have an APC 750VA that looks like a glorified surge protector. It lasts about 8 minutes. Looking for something that lasts 20-30 min. I've got 24 drives in a Norco 4224.

Do you know what your average power draw is? Also do you plan to hook any other devices up to this UPS?

@Frank1940 I have an APC 750VA that looks like a glorified surge protector. It lasts about 8 minutes. Looking for something that lasts 20-30 min. I've got 24 drives in a Norco 4224.

You are going to need a unit with batteries that have (at least) 4 times the Ampere-hour rating of the one that is in your present unit.  You may have to crack the unit open to see what you have in that one.  Then you can check the specs of the UPS that you are considering.  Probably by going to the manufacturer's website and getting the manual from there.  You may even have to research the battery number to track down the spec's.

The problem is that often in the cheap line the UPS manufacturer's will use the same battery for a 750VA unit as as for the 400VA unit.  So the run-time is the same for both units if the VA load is under 400VA but if the load is above 400VA, the run-time keeps getting shorter in the larger unit as the power draw increases.  (The smaller one simply shuts down when the load exceeds its rating!)  I have heard of people attaching external lead-acid car batteries to increase the run-time but other people warn that this could be a safety issue for a number of reasons.