My next steps for my Unraid

20150105_154126

Firstly, thanks to this community for giving me the knowledge to get this up and running. Here is my belated compulsive design post. Nothing special but thought I’d share.

I’ve been running Unraid (5.0 rc8) for about 2.5 years and it’s been great. With barely any issues its been going strong ever since I powered it up.

I’m outgrowing my 2x 3TB (data) drives and have begun the process of investigating upgrade options. The system has been working so well I’ve had to re-learn everything I knew before!!!

The immediate plan is to purchase a pro license and install 5.0.6. Mainly because I want to try out Dynamix. I tried installing it last night on 5 RC8 and it didn’t go so well so I rolled back.

Im torn between the usual upgrade rout e.g. replace the two files in root, or do a clean install. I have read that the  clean install can cause problems. The reason I was considering the clean install is because of the mishap with Dynamix last night.

On a side note, since researching my Unraid upgrade I've noticed a fair amount of Unraid bashing around. Things that weren’t being said before I built my system. Mostly to do with missed deadlines, feature choices and support. Some comments around Unraid not having facilities to make you aware when your HDD's are dead/dying are being said. I thought Simple Features covered most of that stuff for me.

By no means do I think it’s a perfect setup but for my purposes this software suits me better than anything else available. And from my experience it’s been rock solid.

So, clean install or just upgrade? What do you guys think?

Personally, I would opt for a clean install. I have previously just upgraded the biz files and found after a time, out of date / left over plugins have caused an issue with updated plugins / display of the GUI.

By using Dynamix (now integrated on V6b12) you will get email notifications, smart reports etc.

While LT are by no means perfect when it comes to timelines for adding new features or achieving their own dates for releasing updates, again in my opinion it's better than other systems out there.

I left unraid earlier this year and ran ubuntu/mhddfs and snapraid due to the slow updates / no notifications issue. While it worked well, I preferred the GUI approach and as Dynamix has been integrated, I moved back to unraid.

Going to snap raid on top of ubuntu or similar was a consideration. But then having to use mhddfs or another solution for drive pooling seemed more cumbersome than some of the things to do in unraid.

I didn't realise dynamix came with unraid now. I'm still a bit hesitant to but the beta on my setup though.

Thanks for the vote towards clean install

The clean install will make sure that you have no left over plugins and stuff lying around. On the other hand, if jou just empty out the plugin directories then you will get the same situation..

Since you need to go license from now on, I would advise buying the license and regsiter it to a new flashdrive, that way you can set it up seperately from your current flashdrive (unraid license is tied to the physical flashdrive).