6b6 old parity disc cannot be added to array after parity upgrade

tongboy

followed procedures mentioned on here for parity upgrade.

I have a 5x4TB drives - one of them is a parity drive - all is well.

add new 5TB physically and boot server

stop the array - select the parity disk and change the selection to new 5TB drive

'start' parity upgrade - parity upgrade starts and completes successfully and all is green

stop the array again - select 'old' parity 4TB to be 5th drive in array - UI reports 'Stopped. Invalid expansion.' and the 5TB parity drive is reported as 'wrong' even though it fully rebuilt.

I restarted the system after this and the 4TB 'old' parity drive resumed it's place as the parity disc and the 5TB drive was left as unassigned.

What am I missing? I know I have to be missing some critical step - do I need to format the old parity drive or something else before attempting to add it as a drive in the array?

I have to start from scratch now that the 'old' parity disc is again working as my parity disk.

any help is appreciated

Could be your flash drive is corrupt and so no array changes can be written to it. You could post a syslog, or just examine it yourself for lines about FAT-fs. If that is the problem then you can probably fix it by putting it in your PC and letting it do check disk.

spot on recommendation, thank you! no fat-fs errors specifically but a number of lines about read-only and related on the flash drive folder structure. windows check and back in and boot up and the config changes are sticking and the syslog looks good.

thank you again!

Archived