SAS Card suggestion needed.

Hi,

I am starting to build my first DIY NAS with unRaid and plan on ordering a SAS controller as i dont have enough sata slots on my mobo.

I was looking to order one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/PCI-Express-Controller-Components-Rocket-2720SGL/dp/B007EM7N98/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1423767384&sr=8-2&keywords=8+port+sas+card

http://www.amazon.com/HighPoint-RocketRAID-2720SGL-8-Port-PCIe/dp/B0050SLTPC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423766656&sr=8-1&keywords=8+port+sas+card

Can someone shed light as to if these work fine with unRaid? Also would i need some extra cables to hook them up with Sata HDD?

Thanks

The compatibility list does actually have the RocketRaid 2720 listed, however the model i was gonna get was 2720SGL, i figure that should work fine as well?

The RocketRaid from amazon actually ships from Amazon itself so its guranteed to reach on time else they refund the shipping cost, where as supermicro ships from a individual seller. That is another plus point for me.

This guy is actually quoting $150 for fedex ship to India. I got my Fractal Design node 804 shipped via DHL to India for less then that and that thing weighed around 6-8KG

This guy is actually quoting $150 for fedex ship to India. I got my Fractal Design node 804 shipped via DHL to India for less then that and that thing weighed around 6-8KG

Oops... sorry. My bad, I didn't expect them to overcharge so shamelessly.

However, I personally still would steer away from RocketRaid 2720SGL I've read thru the links to forum from the hardware compatibility Wiki page, and it seems that it does have compatibility issues. Supermicro cards don't.

I would search eBay for used Supermicro cards. Supermicro AOCs are server-grade cards, they do last, so I wouldn't worry much about warranty. I have five of them, all bought used from eBay, all running strong. Seller of a used card might be more reasonable about overseas shipping.

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to find a few sellers on ebay selling LSI card, should i go for a LSI 9240? Could you suggest me easily available models from ebay?

I'm using several LSI SAS cards successfully with unRAID:

Both 4-port and 8-port versions, both internal ports and external ports (i.e. -4i, -8i, -4e, -8e).

They can be found on eBay, often as low as $100 if you're patient.

Right now I have a 9211-8i in my main server (16 x 4TB), here's one on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-IT-Mode-9211-8i-SAS-SATA-8-port-PCI-E-6Gb-RAID-Controller-Card-US-Seller-/291372888631

I got a 9240-4i not too long ago, but unRAID didn't see the drives that were connected to it (despite them being shown by the controller during the boot).

I can recommend LSI SAS 9201 16i, which is available in various port configs (internal+external) but key benefits are:

It's an HBA not a RAID card.

PCIe x8 (which will fit in any std PCIe x16 slot)

This version has 4x SAS adapters, which can also be used with 4way SAS-SATA fan-out cables (circa £10ea on Amazon)

Supports up to 512 SAS devices

Supports SATA III (6Gb/s) spec.

Supports large disks >8Tb disks

Costs ~ £330 

Hope this helps