Preclear Quick Question

Adding a drive is not the same as replacing a drive. Just wanted to clarify that so you don't get in trouble if what you intend to do is a rebuild. A rebuild does not technically require a drive to be clear, but it is still a good idea to preclear anyway just so the new drive gets tested.

If you have another computer you could boot the free version of unRAID with another flash drive and use it to preclear the drive. Best to disconnect any other drives so you don't accidentally clear them.

If you don't have another computer you could do it on your unRAID in a similar way. Disconnect all the other drives, remove one to make room for the new drive, and boot from another flash.

Have you ever done a rebuild before?

Adding a drive is not the same as replacing a drive. Just wanted to clarify that so you don't get in trouble if what you intend to do is a rebuild. A rebuild does not technically require a drive to be clear, but it is still a good idea to preclear anyway just so the new drive gets tested.

If you have another computer you could boot the free version of unRAID with another flash drive and use it to preclear the drive. Best to disconnect any other drives so you don't accidentally clear them.

If you don't have another computer you could do it on your unRAID in a similar way. Disconnect all the other drives, remove one to make room for the new drive, and boot from another flash.

Have you ever done a rebuild before?

I did replace a bad drive a year or so ago. I wrote the free Unraid version to a USB drive and I tested it on my everyday pc and it boots. But I have an extra pc that I want to pre clear with and it will not boot from the USB.

I did replace a bad drive a year or so ago. I wrote the free Unraid version to a USB drive and I tested it on my everyday pc and it boots. But I have an extra pc that I want to pre clear with and it will not boot from the USB.

Check your boot order in the BIOS settings

It is booting to the USB first. I just get a blank screen with a flashing cursor

Check your boot order in the BIOS settings

It is booting to the USB first. I just get a blank screen with a flashing cursor

Try hitting F12 to manually select the boot device.  Ifs its a newer board (uefi bios), you'll probably see a copy options in the list to boot from the usb