How do I convert Windows Server to Unraid?

femin

I have a HP home server running Windows Server, I use it mainly as a NAS. it has 4 x 2TB drives in it and Its currently running on a HP P400 smart array - Raid 10. I would like to switch from Windows server to Unraid?  how Do i do that without backing up all my stuff?

have backup on crashplan but don't want to download everything again. 

Now please help me understand a little bit more, with my current drives, how much space I will have in total?

I currently have 4x2TBs, 1x 500GB ssd, 1x 128GB SSD

- I want to use one of the SSD as cache, is the 128gb big enough or i should go with the 500gb?

- I will use one of the drive as a PARITY drive and the other 3 as DATA drive, with a total available space of 6TBs? 

- As for fault tolerance, I can lose any 1 of the 4 drives, even by losing the PARITY drive, I will not lose any data?  but if I lose any 2 drives, I will lose the data that were on those 2 particular drives?

Thanks!

have backup on crashplan but don't want to download everything again. 

Now please help me understand a little bit more, with my current drives, how much space I will have in total?

I currently have 4x2TBs, 1x 500GB ssd, 1x 128GB SSD

- I want to use one of the SSD as cache, is the 128gb big enough or i should go with the 500gb?

Depends on how you intend to use cache but I would say few people would need more than 128.
- I will use one of the drive as a PARITY drive and the other 3 as DATA drive, with a total available space of 6TBs?
YES
- As for fault tolerance, I can lose any 1 of the 4 drives, even by losing the PARITY drive, I will not lose any data?  but if I lose any 2 drives, I will lose the data that were on those 2 particular drives?
YES

One more question as i'm getting ready to move to UnRaid today.

Do I still need my HP P400 Smart Array card?  I can take it out of the system right?

I don't know anything about that card or indeed the rest of your hardware, but if it can function in JBOD mode then it could be used with unRAID. If you don't need it for the drive connections and everything else will work without it then you can take it out.

Archived