Network issue

dk

I have recently upgraded from v4.6 to v6 12b. I did a clean new install and it now shows I have a valid array. However I am running into network problem when I run the PARITY CHECK. When I run this it seems like it quits midway and then I cannot access my wireless devices using my wireless router (I can see the network SSID but I cannot access internet). As soon as I unplug the network cable from tower desktop the wireless connection is reestablished. No resetting of router or modem is needed. This happens quite a few times. I am attaching the syslog if it helps. Please let me know if this is a known issue and what I can do to fix it. Thanks.

syslog.txt

I have recently upgraded from v4.6 to v6 12b. I did a clean new install and it now shows I have a valid array. However I am running into network problem when I run the PARITY CHECK. When I run this it seems like it quits midway and then I cannot access my wireless devices using my wireless router (I can see the network SSID but I cannot access internet). As soon as I unplug the network cable from tower desktop the wireless connection is reestablished. No resetting of router or modem is needed. This happens quite a few times. I am attaching the syslog if it helps. Please let me know if this is a known issue and what I can do to fix it. Thanks.

I don't quite understand your exact problem:

Is it that you can't see the wireless devices from a computer on the wired side?

Or is it that you are on a wireless device and can't see either the unRAID server or Internet or both?

OR can you connect with the unRAID server from a computer on the wired side?

Do you lose the connections with both the GUI and Telnet?

Have tried rebooting the router and all of the switches on your LAN?

By the way, I follow the unRAID board daily and have not heard of a problem such as you are describing so far.

When the system crashes when running the parity check I lose my internet connection. I mean I can see my SSID is active but it does not connect on to the internet (on my iphone, ipad, laptop). The wired connections are similar i.e. no internet connection. I lose connection to the GUI. I am not a telnet user but when I connect my monitor to tower I see that it is at Tower Login prompt (flashing). No error msg of any kind.

But If I just unplug the cable from Tower, I instantly get back my internet. I have multiple devices connected via cables from my router. This behavior only happens with Tower. If I disconnect any other cable during this problem nothing happens (i.e. no internet).

By the way, this issue occurred again just now without even running the parity check. I am attaching the new syslog2 file to see in anyone can make any sense out of it.

syslog2.txt

Give us a better description of your unRAID server-- CPU, MB, size of RAM, number of HD's. 

Are you connecting only using a wired connection to your server? 

What plugins do you have installed?  (If yes, are they ones intended for version 6.X)

Are you running Docker or any VM's? 

Is the server actually locked up? 

Or can you logon from the monitor/keyboard?

Do you have any permanent IP address(es) assigned to any device(s) on the router or is everything assigned an IP address by the router's DHCP process?

Attached pic shows my system info - cpu, ram, hdds, etc.

Yes, I am using only a wired connection to the server.

No extra plugins are installed.

No Docker or VM. It is a basic install.

Not sure if the server is locked up. I know the GUI is unresponsive. The monitor hooked up to TOWER is at the login prompt. Haven't used Linux much so not sure of all the commands I need to execute to get into the system via the telnet (I can try it if there are some directions. Need to know what to look for).

Everything is going through the router DHCP.

Everytime the internet locks up I am restarting the system and the GUI shows that user aborted the parity check process. Remaining things are same - valid config, parity valid etc, all hdds are green.

Give us a better description of your unRAID server-- CPU, MB, size of RAM, number of HD's. 

Are you connecting only using a wired connection to your server? 

What plugins do you have installed?  (If yes, are they ones intended for version 6.X)

Are you running Docker or any VM's? 

Is the server actually locked up? 

Or can you logon from the monitor/keyboard?

Do you have any permanent IP address(es) assigned to any device(s) on the router or is everything assigned an IP address by the router's DHCP process?

system.gif.5a87116a86a43dff53031b472ef548a6.gif

At the login prompt, enter 'root' and then a prompt for the password should come up on the next line.  Enter your password.  (It will be the same one as you use for the GUI.)

If you get a prompt, the server is not locked up!!!! 

Type    'pwd'  (no single quotes) and hit Enter key.  That command will list your Present Working Directory.

Basically what you are doing is testing to make sure that the server is actually running and the problem may lie either in the NIC or in the network.

By the Way, there is a command to power the server from the command line. you enter the following at the command prompt:

shutdown -r now

As you probably know, hitting the power button is not the right way to do that!

Archived