Recommended budget SATA card (min 4 ports) and is 4GB mem?

Hi, I got my hands on a fairly old but I think adequate server (12 5.25" bays + 3 3.5" bays and a ASUS A8N32-SLI mobo) but it only has 4 sata ports. As i got this for only $15 and only looking to stream video and do remote/local backup I don't think I have particularly intensive needs. I was hoping to get recommendations for SATA cards that would:

1) Have at least 4 ports

2) Not cost much

3) Work with PCI Express x16/x4/PCI (Is it even worth trying a regular PCI card?)

The biggest caveat that i didn't think through ($15 for a fully functional system, the case alone is worth more than that) was the mem. It seems that this mobo does not physically support more than 4GB of mem? (Its unclear to me if this is a hardware limitation or referring back to the days of 32bit OSes). Either way, at a glance on ebay, finding sticks larger than 2gb seems a bit difficult and expensive so I wanted to ask about does it seem like I am coming to the right conclusion (or am I waaaay off, or hopefully I am wrong I am looking at the wrong thing that are unnecessarily expensive and its just a software limitation and I could buy say 4x2gb and get at least 8g of mem? hopefully?)

I am a bit of a noob so don't want to buy round pegs for square holes so to speak so suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers

PS If it helps I already have 10 (some 1.5tb, 2tb, and 3tb) drives laying around that I am planning to put in this server and will probably add more later.

It seems that this mobo does not physically support more than 4GB of mem?

It would appear so  from the specs :(.  Then again, unRAID for basic file serving will run fine with 4GB or even 2GB.  How much memory did it come with, and which CPU?

Is it even worth trying a regular PCI card?

No, stick with PCI Express x16/x4.

This Wiki entry helps with tested SATA cards http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Hardware_Compatibility#PCI_SATA_Controllers.  You should also read the Hard Drives and Controllers forum http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?board=37.0 .

I looked for 4 port cards for a while and eventually decided that it was easier to get a highly compatible 8 port card for a small premium.  Some of the popular ones are IBM M1015 or M1115, SuperMicro AOC-SASLP-MV8, AOC-SAS2LP-MV8, and Dell PERC H310.  The IBM and Dell cards get pulled from servers and sold on eBay and need to be flashed, but can be a good deal.  Be patient and track prices if you want a good deal on eBay.

DO NOT USE THE ONBOARD SATA PORTS WITH THAT MOTHERBOARD

That motherboard uses the nForce4 chipset which is known to cause data corruption, not only with unRaid, but with all operating systems.

So, you will also need to get another controller to make up for the 4 ports on the mobo that you are going to lose. 

Note that as long as you don't use the onboard sata ports, the motherboard itself is fine.  I have an nForce4 board in my secondary server, and it is rock solid

http://www.lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Hardware_Compatibility#Hardware_Known_to_NOT_Work

The notes do state that *some* believe that the A8 series of boards are ok to use the onboard ports, but I am of the opinion to not trust them at all -> particularily when you can get a dirt cheap PCIe 4 port sata controller that will work. Something like this while not as good or as fast as a SAS controller does work: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124027

@tdallen

1) the system came with 2 x 1GB 184pin unbuffered CRUCIAL DIMMs so I guess I can put in two more. The proc is an AMD athalon 643 X2 Dual Core 2200

2) Thanks for the 8 port recommendation, after mulling it over it did indeed look like the better option. I found some used AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 cards on ebay for $30 (seemed like a better deal than the $100+ new) so will be trying that out.

@squid

Thanks for warning about the onboard sata ports (and avoiding the PCI slots), I had not picked up on the nforce chipset issues, much appreciated! Its been forever since I have put together a system so it feels like I've forgotten everything. As I got two 8 port cards I think I will have more than made up for the onboard ports (can't wait for them to arrive!). Your Server B setup is encouraging as it looks similar to what I am imagining mine will be (proc, mem, # drives, etc)

Any other pointers/recommendations will of course be appreciated.

Archived