Recover Deleted Directory Structure

ColonelRhodes

Long story short, in the process of removing a mount point I deleted a few directories from an SMB share.

The "rm -rf" command was only run for about 2 seconds before being killed.

Those directories no longer appear when the share is mounted and UnRAID web gui also shows them missing.

What is the best/easiest way to attempt to recover those directories? I want to attempt everything from the unraid server, but if it's easier to pull drives I am ok with that as well.

Thanks for the help!

P.S. Yes, I know I am an idiot ;)

What format are the disks?  if they are in reiserfs format and you have not written new files then running reiserfsck with "--rebuild-tree --scan-whole-partition" is likely to recover them and put them into the lost+found folder.  However it may also recover unwanted stuff.  Note this option will take quite a while to run as it reads through every sector on the disk looking for folder/file fragments.

Not sure if there is an equivalent capability for XFS and BTRFS format.

What format are the disks?  if they are in reiserfs format and you have not written new files then running reiserfsck with "--rebuild-tree --scan-whole-partition" is likely to recover them and put them into the lost+found folder.  However it may also recover unwanted stuff.  Note this option will take quite a while to run as it reads through every sector on the disk looking for folder/file fragments.

They are XFS.

They are XFS.

I am not sure that there is any easy way to recover deleted files from XFS.  Certainly googling for 'undelete XFS' suggests it can be difficult/impossible using standard free software although it looks like paid-for software such as that at www.cnwrecovery.com or www.ufsexplorer.com might succeed.

• 2 months later...

I'm finding myself in a similar situation while setting up syncthing in docker.  It seems I outsmarted myself and accidentally deleted some picture backups from one of my disks. It is also formatted XFS.  I have not written anything to the disk in the off chance they can be recovered.  Has anyone had success using UFS Explorer recovery  or their raise recovery for XFS? I've also heard photorec mentioned an an option, but no sure which one would be the better choice. 

Archived