Passthrough working but vm boot failed: not a bootable disk

Hi.  Decided to take this off from dmacias' plugin thread so as not to hijack that.  This is my first attempt setting up any kind of vm and with some help from Jonp in that thread + poking around in earlier threads I was able to get gpu passthrough working.  (Hadn't realized there was something to edit in the syslinux.cfg file and in my case I had to add a vfio-bind line to the go file).  Anyway, created the vm (Ubuntu 14.04 desktop) and started the domain which immediate brought up the SeaBIOS screen (yes! passthrough working!) but this:

Booting from Hard Disk...

Boot failed: not a bootable disk

No bootable device.

I double checked my BIOS that my SSD cache is bootable so what else could it be?  I'm still new to all this stuff so let me know if it would help to post my XML, system log or anything else.  Thanks.

One of two things come to mind.

1) On windows, the way a virtual disk is exposed from kvm to the guest isn't known.  So you need to use the virtio drivers during OS install before it sees a "disk".  I doubt this is your issue, as I *think* Linux includes these "drivers" as part of the OS.

2) You aren't passing the entire SSD drive to the VM, only a disk image.  There could be a setting wrong in your xml there, or the file itself (on disk on the cache drive) could be locked (wrong permissions, not writable).

Check the file permission, and if that doesn't help, post the disk part of your config.

I think the answer to your question may be in this thread    http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=37734.msg348955#msg348955 and like stottle said, you are using the disk image not the actual disk itself so no need to make the disk bootable in bios

Thanks to you and stottle for the quick replies on this.  I edited the XML to add cdrom back as a boot device and now when I start the domain it does actually boot into Ubuntu (yeay!!!).  Unfortunately I didn't pass through any USB devices so have no way to control it.  It just sits there on the "try Ubuntu" or "install Ubuntu" screen until I force the domain to shut down.

I think I'm piecing it together though.  One little step at a time.  Thanks again.