How to make all the drives show up as one large drive?

gaikokujinkyofusho

Hi, I have just gotten my server put together and started testing out unraid last night. I noticed that once the parity drive finished and I formatted (xfs) the installed drives they show up on the network as separate drives. Is there a way to use them like one large drive? (that is if I have four 4tb drives I can have ~11tb pool-looking-drive of usable space [minus ~3tb needed for parity])

note: I was searching for pools and wasn't coming up with much initially but then came across cache pools so it seems I should have formatted with btrfs instead of xfs :-[ and I would have gotten some different options? will keep reading... (constructive) comments still welcome  :D

Confused again: am back to thinking that unraid supports "arrays" (what is the difference between an array an a pool anyway?) when I saw the diagram on the "new unraid 6" page and it seems like for my purposes they cache pools and storage arrays give pretty much what i need, a large "virtual drive" with disk redundancy? Sorry, I am horribly confused.

You just need to set up user shares to do this.  You can also disable the exporting of the disk shares if you dont want to see them by clicking on the disk and setting export options to disabled

Thanks for this!!! "user shares" got me on the right track (found the page in the manual). Question though, I am still kicking the tires with the trial version, is the user shares option not available in the trial version or should something else be in place for user shares to not be grayed out? (its currently set to "no" and grayed out/not clickable for some reason)

I think it works (can't 100% remember).  You may have to enable user shares under settings / global share settings

Perhaps not, its the enable user shares option that i was referring to. Its ok though, so long as i know it will be there once I get around to buying the full version. thanks.

It should definitely be available in the Trial version.    I think you may have to stop the array, though, to be allowed to change the option for enabling User shares.

I think the only difference is that you cannot use "private" shares.

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/FAQ#What_is_the_difference_between_the_unRAID_licenses.3F

I think that restriction has been removed from v6 with the introduction of the trial and Basic versions.  I think the only restriction now is the amount of space on a disk that can be use in the Trial version  (and even that is only going to be enforced from the next beta release).

Archived