First Reallocated Sector, best way to empty disk ?

FLK

Hey,

Just got my first Reallocated Sector on my oldest disk, a WD Green, (not a storage-friendly disk :D).

So i was wondering what would be the proper way to move all data from that disk to the others, a simple mv /mnt/diskX/* /mnt/diskY/* would do the trick I guess ?

Do you think i can open a feature request to add a real "Empty Disk" option in unRAID that would move all data to other disks (not only one), maybe following any "Allocation method/Split level" settings if there are users shares on that disk ?

The sticky at the top of this sub forum talks about moving files from disk to disk and I successfully used this command when I moved files to reformat them.

rsync -av --progress --remove-source-files /mnt/diskxx/ /mnt/diskxx/

There are other various commands in that post depending on how thorough you want to be with safeguarding those files. Checksums etc.

The sticky is worth a read.

Note that there's nothing wrong with having reallocated sectors.    That simply means the S.M.A.R.T. system is doing its job => recognizing defective sectors and replacing them with spares.

What you don't want to have is "pending sectors" => these are sectors that have been noted as defective, but the system can't reallocate the data to a spare because it hasn't been able to get a good read on the data.

Archived