best way to run plex

hi I am running unraid 5. I have cp, sb, sab, openvpn and plex. plex runs great over lan. But if I want to watch plex outside the lan over the internet I have to turn off my openvpn.

Is there a way to fix is? I have been looking for weeks now and still cant find any info.

How about if a run a virtual os to run plex then would I still have to keep turning off my vpn?

Zac

Not an expert, by any means, but I'm not sure what virtualizing an OS gains you? The traffic still has to be routed to the VPN server and, I believe that, the latency of that transmission is what's causing your issues. Maybe try comparing a speed test of your broadband with/without the VPN active to see what kind of transmission degradation is produced by using the VPN. This may give you an idea if using the VPN is at all feasible.

hi I am running unraid 5. I have cp, sb, sab, openvpn and plex. plex runs great over lan. But if I want to watch plex outside the lan over the internet I have to turn off my openvpn.

Is there a way to fix is? I have been looking for weeks now and still cant find any info.

How about if a run a virtual os to run plex then would I still have to keep turning off my vpn?

Zac

I currently use pfSense to route all my internet traffic through a VPN. I have a rule setup in pfSense to send ALL Plex traffic through my ISP and skips the VPN. If you have never used pfSense it's pretty intense because of all the options. If you have played with DD-WRT or Tomatoes then it shouldn't be to hard to learn pfSense (just need time and the willingness to learn). If you haven't played with either than pfSense probably ins't for you...

Another thought, if your VPN gives you an open port, you could use that to send Plex traffic through (assuming that port isn't in use already).

Zac

At the risk of hijacking this thread I have to ask how pfsense fits in to your current network topology? Currently I have the ISP Modem that I'm required to use which put my router in a DMZ. From that router is where I do everything and I have openwrt installed on it. Then all my machines connect either wired (house is wired) or wireless to that. I'm interested in pfsense and would like to play with it but I don't know where it would fit in.

On topic: Seems like you should be able to configure openvpn to also pass through plex and some of the results from the google search I posted earlier seemed to suggest the same but I can't access those pages ATM.

I currently use pfSense to route all my internet traffic through a VPN. I have a rule setup in pfSense to send ALL Plex traffic through my ISP and skips the VPN. If you have never used pfSense it's pretty intense because of all the options. If you have played with DD-WRT or Tomatoes then it shouldn't be to hard to learn pfSense (just need time and the willingness to learn). If you haven't played with either than pfSense probably ins't for you...

Another thought, if your VPN gives you an open port, you could use that to send Plex traffic through (assuming that port isn't in use already).

At the risk of hijacking this thread I have to ask how pfsense fits in to your current network topology? Currently I have the ISP Modem that I'm required to use which put my router in a DMZ. From that router is where I do everything and I have openwrt installed on it. Then all my machines connect either wired (house is wired) or wireless to that. I'm interested in pfsense and would like to play with it but I don't know where it would fit in.

So I am currently using pfSense as a VM so it's a little convoluted but I was running pfSense on a Bare Metal spare machine so lets assume that's what you want to do for simplicity.

Topology:

Modem -> pfSense Box -> 8 Port Switch -> Linksys E3000 (for wifi) + All other computers.

Thanks for all the replys.

I have got it all working. I changed the VPN from a client to a server. Nothing else and its all working.

Does that sound right?

I am using slickvpn.

You've got me lost. But go to curlmyip.com and make sure your ip address is what you think it should be. Obviously behind vpn it should not sure your home IP. You can also do

curl curlmyip.com

from the command line to check. That's how I typically check I'm behind a vpn

Thanks for all the replys.

I have got it all working. I changed the VPN from a client to a server. Nothing else and its all working.

Does that sound right?

I am using slickvpn.

I do not think that's what you want. I am assuming you want to send most of your traffic through slickvpn correct? If so, then I am 99% sure it needs to be setup as a client. I would guess that if you google "what's my ip" right now it would show your ISP and not slickvpn's IP. A VPN server allows you to securely connect to your home network from outside your home network.

I for example have both setup. I have a VPN client setup that sends all my internet traffic through my VPN providers IP and I have a VPN server setup to allow me to connect to my home network.