[SOLVED] Really slow guests under 14b

Hi all.

I have been with 10b for ages, and I really really had to upgrade (given the reliability issues with 10b).

Ao, now I have a sparckling new 14b running on my HP Microservers. Several months ago I used to run a couple of VM for testing pourposes. They were performing as expected: not too fast, given that I have an AMD Turion NEO N40L under the cover, but not too bad either. Since all I needed to do was supported by docker, so I just erased the VMs and let the thing go.

Now I have the need to run something that can't be dockered I went ahead that starting working on installing new VMs. Horror! They are not slow, they are painfully slow! They just can't be used anymore. Still I had a pleasant experience under 10b. Anyone with similar issues?

I have not noticed any performance difference in VM's.

What OS are you trying to put into a VM?  If it is Windows then you want to make sure you use the virtio drivers.  Another point is that if you are interested in performance you should avoid using qcow2 as the virtual disk format - you will find raw (.img) files for virtual disks perform much better.

I tried

- Fedora 21, doesn't even get to the graphical screen.

- Centos 7, it is so slow that you can't install the packages from minimal.

- IPFire, does install, but it is so slow that simply doesn't work.

- Untangle 10, which is the same version that I installed last time. Well, after 1 hour I am still waiting for the installation to finish.

It is a cpu issue, tough: it get's stuck at 100% and with a load factor of 6/7, out of 2 logical CPUs. Something, this round, is seriously wrong... mmmm

The real difference, from the last time, is that I am creating the VMs from Libvirtmanager from another linux server. I'll try to use virsh next machine, to see if something changes.

Well, I got to the bottom of things.

I tried to use the plugin this time to create a guest, and choosed Q35.

Now the guest is running smoothly. I don't know if it is the Q35 chipset or something else doing the difference, but finally I have something usable. and inline with what I used to have a few months ago.

I would say that this issue is solved.