I have some questions before start. Sorry i'm a newbie

inkubux

I ordered a simple fanless motherboard with 4 sata

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Q1900DC-ITX/

So for now the new Basic licence would fit perfectly with this.

1. Since I want to import an existing 3TB HD with data, I presume it will not work without actually format it. I would need to copy the data to another HD before inserting it and format it ?

2. Can I install 1 drive and then the parity ?.

1st an empty 3TB drive (copy all my data to it) and then install my second 3TB as parity (the one with current data). Will unRaid format my drive for parity if inserted after my main data drive ?

3. Do I need a cache drive for docker ?

I read the I cannot install docker image into user share ? does that mean I cannot put into one of my data drive ?

4. Which FS is recommended for unRaid v6, reiser, xfs or btrfs ?

Sorry for all my newbie questions. :-[

1. Since I want to import an existing 3TB HD with data, I presume it will not work without actually format it. I would need to copy the data to another HD before inserting it and format it ?

YES

2. Can I install 1 drive and then the parity ?.

YES

1st an empty 3TB drive (copy all my data to it) and then install my second 3TB as parity (the one with current data). Will unRaid format my drive for parity if inserted after my main data drive ?

Parity does not have a file system, so the term "format" does not really apply. It will build parity onto the drive just fine if added after your data drive(s)

3. Do I need a cache drive for docker ?

I read the I cannot install docker image into user share ? does that mean I cannot put into one of my data drive ?

The requirement is to install docker to a disk, can be cache or can be array disk. Cannot be user share, which is basically an aggregate of disks. It's not really a problem, just some terminology and specifying the file paths correctly during setup.

4. Which FS is recommended for unRaid v6, reiser, xfs or btrfs ?

For new system, XFS is the default. There is quite a bit of discussion of the pros and cons of each, but I think most are choosing XFS except for maybe using cache pools with btrfs.

Archived