[REQUEST] Drive Balancing

Maybe not the correct name for it, but I think it would be cool to have a script that would "balance" the distribution of files over the disks. For example, if I have three drives - Drive 1 is 95% full, Drive 2 is 75% full and Drive 3 is only 20% full. The balancer would distribute files across the volumes to even out the data spread on the drives.

I end up doing this manually but I though some guru might be able to come up with a way to do this automagically.

Just my 0.02 :)

There's no real reason you need to "balance" your drives ... but if that's what you want, you can simply set your allocation method to "Most Free" and it will automatically keep all of the drives "automagically" balanced [if they're all the same size].

If the drives aren't all the same size, and you still want to keep the % of utilization similar, you can set the allocation method to "high water" =>  this won't "balance" them, but will fill a drive to 50%, then the next drive to 50%, etc. ... and then they'll all go to 75% [50% of the remaining space]; then to 7/8ths; then to 15/16ths; then to 31/32nds; etc.

What's the point in rebalancing? If we assume all drives have a limited lifespan (not a ridiculous assumption) all you're probably doing by moving data around is potentially increasing the wear and tear whilst reducing lifespan.

It's a nice idea that I often wanted when I first started out but really it's not necessary at all...

What's the point in rebalancing? If we assume all drives have a limited lifespan (not a ridiculous assumption) all you're probably doing by moving data around is potentially increasing the wear and tear whilst reducing lifespan.

It's a nice idea that I often wanted when I first started out but really it's not necessary at all...

Agree ... as I noted above:

There's no real reason you need to "balance" your drives ...