FEATURE REQUEST --- Simplify Array Power Down and Reboot of server

=> First, the only wires going to an UnRAID server are the power and networking cable.  Any good UPS has protection for the network cable ... and this should definitely be used -- otherwise that can easily be the path the destroys the server in a high-energy burst situation like a lightning strike.

This is probably true for many users, but not all.  There are some of us with TV tuners, with coax coming in, either directly to installed TV tuner cards or to network tuners, and the coax cable can be a great path for lightning spikes!  Coax too can be plugged into some UPS's, but with a certain amount of signal loss.  As to network cable protection, I would like to hear opinions on this, how good it is.  In the past, they only claimed Fast Ethernet support (100mbit), and I'm not sure they can even now be trusted to fully protect all 8 lines of a gigabit connection.  Am I wrong?  Is it better now?  Or do only the high end ones have full protection for gigabit cables?

=>  One reason I don't favor an "Emergency Shutdown" button (i.e. skipping the orderly shutdown process) is that it simply doesn't matter ... the system can be damaged just as much in the "Off" state as when it's running if a pulse of high enough energy that it completely skips your protection circuitry makes it to the server.

That would be true for direct hits, but they're the rarest ones, especially for most of our users.  It's much more common to have nearby strikes, where the normal rules of conductivity apply, and shutting off equipment does protect most equipment then.  You can't predict what's going to hit you though, so you do as much as you can, increase your odds as much as you can.

My point is simply that a GOOD UPS unit provides the best possible surge protection you can have ... and while NOTHING is completely foolproof, I've seen several examples of direct lightning strikes that did both physical (holes in the roof) and major electrical damage to homes that did NOT harm the UPS-connected PC's [in one case these were Belkin UPS units;  the other 2 I've seen were both APC units => in every case they were fairly high-end UPS units ... not the low-end units without AVR].    Also, in every case where this happened, the UPS vendor provided free replacement units (this is common) ... and had there been any damage to the connected equipment, they would have paid for it.  [Note that if you have ANY unprotected connection to the system -- e.g. a network cable you haven't routed through the UPS -- the guarantee that pays for damages is invalidated]

All very true.  I haven't been able to afford the best equipment, and too forgetful and disorganized to put claims in.

... too forgetful and disorganized to put claims in.

You're certainly not alone there  :)

I've tossed a lot of "stuff" over the years that was still in warranty, but just not worth the hassle to file the claim.    I have, however, had a couple of UPS units replaced over the years -- with no hassle whatsoever.  Fortunately I've never had any connected equipment fail, so haven't had to make any of those claims.

The best defense for electronics against lightning is to disconnect the devices from the grid. So, on top of being able to shut it down quickly, you'll need to be able to rush and disconnect the devices too. And at the end of the day, everything is  to chance anyway.