Asus Radeon HD6450 windows drivers

Finally I got one GPU to pass through the only issue is that I cannot install the display drivers in a Win10 VM in order to get the full resolution this card can provide. Right now I'm stuck with a generic windows driver.

If I try to install the drivers from the provided CD the VM is freezing and eventually the whole system will restart.

Am I doing something wrong here or should I start looking maybe at a different motherboard.

Thank you.

HD6450.PNG.5dd52d9617c83e288acc94297ae107bf.PNG

When you go to install the drivers, are you just downloading the generic ones or are you using the AMD website to filter for your specific device?

Win10 is also still in tech preview. Can you try this with either Win7 or Win8 and see if it works there?

Tried again with the drives detected by the AMD website with the same results.

With Win8.1 the system was even more unstable than with Win10, even a clean shutdown from withing the VM passthrough or VNC would trigger a reset for the whole system.

Next step will be to try another graphics card this time Nvidia.

• 2 weeks later...

So just an FYI, this is the second asus brand AMD GPU we've seen some qurikiness with. I'm going to drop you a PM with something else to try for me.

FYI, I also have an Asus HD 6450 and am having the same problem passing it through to a Win 8.1 guest. It's the first windows vm I've created so I assumed it was just user error. Glad I found this so I know it's just this particular card. I was already wondering how paranoid I had to be about installing new drivers in general.

Would love to hear if a fix is found for this. I'll try a Nvidia card for now but I want to use this vm as an HTPC and would really prefer the 6450 for that if someone finds a way to get this card to work w/windows.

Good call. AMD hardware is just not as reliable for virtualization support compared to Intel.

Hi Jon.  This wouldn't be the issue in my case since my board is intel.  Any other ideas?  I've attached what's on my system devices page.

I'm starting to think in my case it must be user error.  Or I'm just having really terrible luck with graphics cards.  This 6450 is the only one I can get to work at all.  I have 2 Nvidia cards also -- a 750 ti (MSI) and a 720 (Zotac) -- and so far I haven't been able to pass through either.  That is, I can select both in the template but when I start the vm the screen goes blank and the monitor reports no signal w/every output available.

LOVE the templates btw!  Great work on that.

SystemDevices.txt

Walk me step by step how you went about installing the drivers.

Sure.  In the VM template I included the virtio-win-0.1.96 drivers and then first thing after Windows (8.1 PRO) loads I install those drivers from Device Manager.  I forget the names for each -- KV something for the ethernet controller, balloon for PCI and then I forget the 3rd one which also shows as PCI something under Other Devices (basically just trial and error for me to figure out which installs where).  Then I've tried to install the driver both from the Asus website and copied from the disk (copied over from my desktop PC) and both times the audio driver will install but not the main driver.  Also if I don't disable Windows automatically installing drivers before I install anything than the system crashes.  Last time it did it after the last virtio driver install and before I even tried again to install the driver for the card.

So basically the only way I can get it to work with Windows at all is in the default low res if I don't try to install anything and don't let Windows install drivers either. 

Any idea what's going on w/my Nvidia cards btw?  I thought those were generally supposed to work better w/KVM so isn't it a bit unusual I can't get either to pass through?