OSX on KVM

Glimmerman911

I downloaded a dmg file for Yosemite, and converted it to an iso. 

Does this take care of step #1 in the guide https://macosxvirtualmachinekvm.wordpress.com/guide-mac-os-x-vm-on-unraid/

Or is there more I have to do to make it bootable iso?

Is this guide still valid with KVM in unraid 6b15?  When I paste the XML entries into KVM it isn't pickup up the iso parameter or hard drive parameter correctly.  And if I go into the template it isn't mapped there, and the template starts over-writing the KVM settings.

I downloaded a dmg file for Yosemite, and converted it to an iso. 

Does this take care of step #1 in the guide https://macosxvirtualmachinekvm.wordpress.com/guide-mac-os-x-vm-on-unraid/

Or is there more I have to do to make it bootable iso?

I'm 99% sure that just converting it will not work. You can try and report back but I would bet that you will have to follow the guide

Is this guide still valid with KVM in unraid 6b15?  When I paste the XML entries into KVM it isn't pickup up the iso parameter or hard drive parameter correctly.  And if I go into the template it isn't mapped there, and the template starts over-writing the KVM settings.

This is still valid for 6b15, I just updated some of the steps (like 3 mins ago) for it to make since with the new VM manager in b15. That config is the same one I am currently using and running at this moment.

Is it possible to complete step 1 and have a bootable Yosemite iso without a working mac computer?

Possible... no you need a Mac but there is a work around.

P.I.T.A... YES!

You have to have a running Mac to complete step 1 to get a bootable Yosemite.iso. To get around this you could first install Mac OS X 10.8 or 10.9 as a VM and then create the 10.10 bootable iso from that VM. With OS X 10.10 they moved the kernel to a different folder and chameleon doesn't know where to find it but on OS X 10.8 or 10.9 it should boot up.

Is it possible to complete step 1 and have a bootable Yosemite iso without a working mac computer?

Possible... no you need a Mac but there is a work around.

P.I.T.A... YES!

You have to have a running Mac to complete step 1 to get a bootable Yosemite.iso. To get around this you could first install Mac OS X 10.8 or 10.9 as a VM and then create the 10.10 bootable iso from that VM. With OS X 10.10 they moved the kernel to a different folder and chameleon doesn't know where to find it but on OS X 10.8 or 10.9 it should boot up.

Thank you for the info, any guides that you know of for getting OS X 10.8 or 10.9 working under unraid 6b15 KVM?

Thank you for the info, any guides that you know of for getting OS X 10.8 or 10.9 working under unraid 6b15 KVM?

No, I don't have the time and didn't see a point to make a guide for an outdated OS X. That said, I have gotten both to work on unRAID. It should be pretty similar to the current 10.10 guide.

I am trying to set up an OSX VM on beta 15 on my AMD based system using the guide at

https://macosxvirtualmachinekvm.wordpress.com/guide-mac-os-x-vm-on-unraid/

However I do not seem to be able to edit the XML to add the <qemu:commandline> section via the Edit XML option in the GUI - is there a trick to this that I have missed or is it a current limitation of the GUI?  When I press the Update button it says "Updating" but never seems to complete.

I thought that I would do it instead using the 'virsh edit' option, but the VM I created does not show up when I do a 'virsh list' command - only the VM's that have already been started.  Is there something else I should do or some other way to edit the XML directly?

I am trying to set up an OSX VM on beta 15 on my AMD based system using the guide at

However I do not seem to be able to edit the XML to add the <qemu:commandline> section via the Edit XML option in the GUI - is there a trick to this that I have missed or is it a current limitation of the GUI?  When I press the Update button it says "Updating" but never seems to complete.

I thought that I would do it instead using the 'virsh edit' option, but the VM I created does not show up when I do a 'virsh list' command - only the VM's that have already been started.  Is there something else I should do or some other way to edit the XML directly?

I was trying to edit a windows 10 vm last night and when I hit save it took forever. Maybe 10 minutes. How long did you wait?

You should be able to edit the config through unRAIDs GUI. That is how I have been doing it. I've noticed that if I enter in something incorrectly the GUI will hang and not give an error. Triple check that what you entered is correct. Also, you may try entering everything through the keyboard without copy pasting, I've noticed that WordPress does some strange things with formatting that unRAID does not like.

I was trying to edit a windows 10 vm last night and when I hit save it took forever. Maybe 10 minutes. How long did you wait?

I certainly did not wait that long.  However other changes I make to the via the Edit XML option to my Windows VM seem to save almost immediately.  I guess I can try again and leave it trying a lot longer.  I cannot think what might make it take anything like that length of time though (I though computers were meant to be fast :) )

You should be able to edit the config through unRAIDs GUI. That is how I have been doing it. I've noticed that if I enter in something incorrectly the GUI will hang and not give an error. Triple check that what you entered is correct. Also, you may try entering everything through the keyboard without copy pasting, I've noticed that WordPress does some strange things with formatting that unRAID does not like.

Looks like it could well be the cutting/pasting from the WordPress article that was the reason for my problem as when I enter what I want manually it is saving instantly without any problems.  Thanks for that tip - I was using cut/paste as I thought it would reduce the chance of error whereas it appears it did the exact opposite.  I might try doing the copy/paste to a text file first as that might clean up what I get and if so would remove a lot of manual (error-prone) entry.

Yes, last time I was trying to copy/paste from archedraft's guide some of the single quotes were formatted weirdly and didn't work.

I've updated the stupid thing so many times... I'm almost to the point of putting **copy / paste may or may not work** every other step... WordPress grumble grumble grumble...

Archived