Parity checks after rebuild

Do I need to do it?

If yes:

I am upgrading all of my 3tb to 8tb. After the drive rebuild, I do a parity check. When the parity check gets beyond 3tb the reading of the the data drives stop and then the parity drive continues to check the rest of the 5tb. Obviously there is no data to check beyond 3tb.

Therefore can I stop the parity check after 3tb?

The first time you build parity you need to let it run to completion.  Ideally the first check should also run to completion to validate that the initial build of parity was correct.  After that once you have gone beyond the end of the largest data drive you can safely stop the parity check as there is nothing really left to check.

Thanks.

So to confirm on disk 1 upgrade/rebuild, let the parity check finish fully and then subsequent disk upgrade/rebuilds stop the parity check at 3TB?

NO ==> Not if I understand you correctly.    Are the "subsequent disk upgrade/rebuilds" replacements of 3TB drives with additional 8TB drives?    If so, you definitely want to let the check run to completion, to confirm the newly replaced drive was correctly cleared beyond the area where there was data.

What you COULD do ... with the minor risk that if the check shows an error you won't know which disk it's on (but as long as you still have the old 3TB drives that could be figured out) ... is do several replacements;  THEN do a parity check.

I have already replaced the parity drive with a 8tb and rebuilt it and parity check is complete with no errors.

Now I am going to replace 5 of the 3tb drives with the 8tb drives. It takes about 36 hours per drive to do this!

I just want to save a lot of time after a data drive rebuild in regards of a cancelling the parity check just after the parity check gets beyond 3tb.

I think I'd do the following ...

(a)  Rebuild a drive

(b)  Run a parity check, canceling it after the 3TB point

©  Repeat until all of the 3TB drives you're going to upgrade have been done

(d)  Run a final parity check -- allowing it to run to completion.    Even if one of the rebuilt drives weren't successfully zeroed, parity will nevertheless be corrected in this final check so all's well  [it's not really important that the drives be zeroes ... only that parity be correct].  Be sure, of course, that this final parity check is a correcting check.

Archived