Crashplan - What am I missing?

I installed the docker from gfjardim for Crashplan (non desktop version). I followed the instructions given (http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=33864.0)  but what I cannot figure out, is why when I click on WebGUI, it takes me to the Crashplan website. I must have something wrong still. I followed the simple instructions shown here (I believe and changed the configuration to my server IP address and port number I left the default on) but I still get taken to this general website. What am I missing? I figured this would be easy to setup, but I am obviously doing something wrong still. Any ideas, or information I need to add to this, please let me know and I will provide it. I would like to get my most important stuff (family photos and vids) backed up to my worksite from my home unRAID server soon, so my mind will be at ease.

Brandon

The crashplan docker is a service that runs in the background.  To configure it you have two options.

1.  Edit the config file and use a Crashplan install on another computer to configure it.

2.  (By far easier) Install the Crashplan GUI docker and turn it on when you want to alter or setup the config.  It doesn't need to run all the time, just when you want to alter anything.

2.  (By far easier) Install the Crashplan GUI docker and turn it on when you want to alter or setup the config.  It doesn't need to run all the time, just when you want to alter anything.

Do you mean the Crashplan desktop version that gfjardim has? The one it says to use remote desktop to access?

Perfect! I have my first backup running now. Should be done in about 12 hours or so it says. About 60 GB's to back up so far. Any of your tips or tricks that you want to add to help me out I welcome them. Thanks for helping me get this up and running quickly!

Perfect! I have my first backup running now. Should be done in about 12 hours or so it says. About 60 GB's to back up so far. Any of your tips or tricks that you want to add to help me out I welcome them. Thanks for helping me get this up and running quickly!

Nope, you now know as much as I do about Crashplan!  ;D 

Check out Syncthing by Xamindar as well for local syncing/backups, pretty cool.  Works remotely as well and is open source.

• 1 month later...

I'm still stuck myself and having a hard time finding documentation and information on this new setup.

It finally dawned on my with this thread that I muse use the RDC over port 3389 to connect? I tried this, but all I get is a black screen. Tried restarting the CrashPlan-Docker, but still nothing. No errors in the logs either.

Any further suggestions on how to diagnose this problem? I used to be able to connect my Mac client by modifying the ui.properties file, but that has no effect and always connects to the localhost now. Any other suggestions on how to get this working? I guess I would prefer the RDC method if I can get that working.

I'm still stuck myself and having a hard time finding documentation and information on this new setup.

It finally dawned on my with this thread that I muse use the RDC over port 3389 to connect? I tried this, but all I get is a black screen. Tried restarting the CrashPlan-Docker, but still nothing. No errors in the logs either.

Any further suggestions on how to diagnose this problem? I used to be able to connect my Mac client by modifying the ui.properties file, but that has no effect and always connects to the localhost now. Any other suggestions on how to get this working? I guess I would prefer the RDC method if I can get that working.

So you need both the Crashplan docker and the Crashplan desktop.  Here's my templates..

You only need to run the desktop one when you're configuring stuff, it doesn't need to run all the time.

gMkhRS4.jpg

pxtRm0C.jpg

Correct. I have used this method to RDP into Crashplan and change settings with success. Use CHBMB's method and it should all work great. You will not be able to RDP to that address without that second "Crashplan-Desktop GUI" Docker running. Thank you CHBMB for helping make that so easy.

Brandon

Correct. I have used this method to RDP into Crashplan and change settings with success. Use CHBMB's method and it should all work great. You will not be able to RDP to that address without that second "Crashplan-Desktop GUI" Docker running. Thank you CHBMB for helping make that so easy.

Brandon

Happy to help mate.  ;)

I am now having another problem and hopefully I include enough in this post to help troubleshoot the issue. I fire up my RDP session to the server IP and port 3389, and everything was working fine until last week or so. The crashplan app looks like it tries to open, but never opens. You can tell the Crashplan app in ubuntu looks like it tries to open up but never does. I also will paste what little the unRAID docker log for the Desktop app looks like below.....

BEGIN LOG:

*** Running /etc/my_init.d/config.sh...

Current default time zone: 'America/Chicago'

Local time is now: Mon Jul 27 16:16:05 CDT 2015.

Universal Time is now: Mon Jul 27 21:16:05 UTC 2015.

cp: cannot stat ‘/root/wallpapers/*’: No such file or directory

I am now having another problem and hopefully I include enough in this post to help troubleshoot the issue. I fire up my RDP session to the server IP and port 3389, and everything was working fine until last week or so. The crashplan app looks like it tries to open, but never opens. You can tell the Crashplan app in ubuntu looks like it tries to open up but never does. I also will paste what little the unRAID docker log for the Desktop app looks like below.....

BEGIN LOG:

*** Running /etc/my_init.d/config.sh...

Current default time zone: 'America/Chicago'

Local time is now: Mon Jul 27 16:16:05 CDT 2015.

Universal Time is now: Mon Jul 27 21:16:05 UTC 2015.

cp: cannot stat ‘/root/wallpapers/*’: No such file or directory

Is that time zone correct, seen some funny issues when Time is "not right"

Interestingly just helped TexasDave with a similar issue, don't know what the problem was, just reinstalled and all worked.  Any error message in the CrashPlan RDP flash screen? Like "Unable to connect to backup engine" 

Might be helpful to keep the CrashPlan stuff to the official thread as that'll be the one the author monitors..

It's here.