[Solved] Drive limit. UnRaid limit or Array limit

Alex.vision

Hello people,

I'm starting my new build and I had a quick question.  Is the 26 drive limit still related to UnRaid having /sda -/sdz id's or is the limit only imposed upon the array itself?  I ask because I watched jonp's video on cat5.tv last night (nice job BTW) and I really want to get back into UnRaid.  I currently have a Norco 4220 and 2x 16 bay DAS enclosures running on my current Server 2012 storage box.  I would be happy with 26 storage drives in my array (which I'm not close to reaching yet) but I would like to use my DAS boxes for docker and VM drives. So I could easily go over 26 drives when I start adding my VM drives.

Thoughts? 

I assume you are talking about the Pro license?  If so for that license there is no 'attached device' limit, and the limit for the number of drives in the array is 25 (not 26).  The release notes say that unRAID can now handle 4 character names although I have not seen others confirming that going beyond 26 devices is no longer an issue.

For the other license levels the limit applies to the number of 'attached devices' regardless of whether they are assigned to the array or not.

I assume you are talking about the Pro license?  If so for that license there is no 'attached device' limit, and the limit for the number of drives in the array is 25 (not 26).  The release notes say that unRAID can now handle 4 character names although I have not seen others confirming that going beyond 26 devices is no longer an issue.

For the other license levels the limit applies to the number of 'attached devices' regardless of whether they are assigned to the array or not.

Assumption correct I was speaking of the pro license.  Ah the release notes, I have yet to pull down UnRaid 6 so I missed that one.  Ah 25 is the array limit. Could not remeber if it was 25 + parity or 26 or Cache as well or some combination.  Thanks

The release notes say that unRAID can now handle 4 character names although I have not seen others confirming that going beyond 26 devices is no longer an issue.

I missed that, and can't find the note (searching matches too much stuff!).  Do you recall where it is, or when it was stated?

I missed that, and can't find the note (searching matches too much stuff!).  Do you recall where it is, or when it was stated?

Here you go:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=39808.msg376059#msg376059

An 'atttached device' limit was not intended for Pro keys.  This has been fixed.  In fact, you should be able to correctly use 4-letter device identifiers such as 'sdaa'.  All places in the code have been corrected to allow for this now.  But note: I have not tested these changes beyond 24 devices because I don't have enough hardware in house at the moment to do so  :-[  You guys with huge arrays, let me know if seems to work...

There is still a limitation of 25 combined array/cache slots.  This restriction too will be lifted in a future release, but to do so now requires more changes and testing that we should do in -rc release.

Archived