DQ45CB board hangs when using SAS cards

I'm trying to run unraid on an old Intel DQ45CB motherboard with core2duo 8500 cpu.

Using the onboard sata slots it works great, I even got pci passthrough working with my tuner card.

I've tried using an IBM m1015 (crossflashed to LSI) and now a supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 and both seem to just completely lock the system up.

The m/board only has 1 PCI-E slot that will accomodate the card as the rest are all only 1x slots. Normally this slot would be used for the graphics card.

I've run memory tests and all pass so does anyone have any idea why it might just lock up? It's semi random but generally doesn't run for long until it locks up

• 3 weeks later...

If you look through my posts, I've had similar strange and frustrating situations with one motherboard (ASUS P8Z68v Pro).  It was a nightmare and after 2 months off and on trying to get it to work - I gave up and moved on to another board (ASUS P8Z77v LK).  Its working flawlessly.  In my (limited) experience, it appears to me that Linux just does not like certain boards for whatever esoteric reasons.  I've tried dozens of configs, stripping out cards, disabling features, "trying this and trying that" and could never get the board to run for more than 24 hours without a server panic (ran for YEARS under windows with no issues!). 

I know the problems I was facing are different from your current experience, but I've said all that to say this....

"Sometimes you just need to move on to different hardware."

Ebay is such a great place to dump equipment.  Even old stuff will sell.  I know its annoying, it SHOULD work - and the tenacious tech in me does not want to let go.  But it does not work.  So you just punt and move on...  But if you want to try a different board, i have an ASUS P8Z68v-Pro board for sale... ;)