Issues with drives spinning and cache_dirs not working properly

magiin83

So up until a few days ago, my entire setup was perfect.  2 drive setup, each sharing tv and movies.

I currently only use couchpotato, nzbget and sonarr, thought 2 days ago I started using filebot to manage the metadata.

Neither here nor there.

Upgraded to 6.0 on the 11th, beautiful OS as always.

My problem though, begins with my drives spinning up at literally every turn.

I currently have cache_dirs off, though up until today I've had it enabled, with no issues whatsoever.  I could enter a share, browse, see whats there, nothing would spin up.  Now all of a sudden, any time I try to even access a samba share, or even just LOOK at the list of movies on kodi (this part especially makes no sense whatsoever), drives spin up immediately - accessing the meta data, movie by movie, folder by folder.

I have metadata in every folder, kodi has all of this info in it already, not to mention, my entire system should have been cached from cache_dirs days ago. Yet immediately, it tries to access those files as soon as I even change to a different INFO PAGE on kodi, not even starting a movie.

At first I thought, ok maybe there's a setting screwy in cache_dirs, so I've changed some of them (see picture attached) and waited a few hours for stuff to cache into memory.  Same thing, immediately drive spin up.

Results of inotify, which make even less sense than the cache_dirs issue:

/mnt/disk2/Movies/ ACCESS,ISDIR The.Dark.Knight.Rises.2012

/mnt/disk2/Movies/The.Dark.Knight.Rises.2012/ ACCESS,ISDIR

/mnt/disk2/Movies/The.Dark.Knight.Rises.2012/ ACCESS folder.jpg

/mnt/disk2/Movies/ ACCESS,ISDIR The.Rules.Of.Attraction.2002

/mnt/disk2/Movies/The.Rules.Of.Attraction.2002/ ACCESS,ISDIR

/mnt/disk2/Movies/ ACCESS,ISDIR Amores.Perros.2000

/mnt/disk2/Movies/Amores.Perros.2000/ ACCESS,ISDIR

Just some of the output.  What makes absoloutely NO SENSE, is I was accessing The Dark Knight Rises folder, yet... output for info being accessed includes 2 OTHER folders, both of which I didnt even hover over or access..... how in the hell does this happen??  Again, this is which cache_dirs off.  Samba share, enter movies, see giant list of movies, no spin up, try to access Dark Knight Rises folder, 2 other folders in addition to that are attempting to access???

So I'm at a complete confused stage in this, and why this would start happening.  If anyone has any insight into this, I'd greatly appreciate any help.

As I said, my cache drive/cache_dirs has never acted this way before.

I can download things, it can post-process, sonarr can pick it up, send the info to kodi and then update in sonarr, and all is well.  But if I enable cache_dirs with any of my dockers attempting to download, or anything like that, the drive where that info will be posted immediately spins up, although I'm doing nothing with kodi or anywhere else.

I realize this thread is talking about many things, and I'm as confused just trying to put this all into some sort of cohesive topic, but something is completely bonkers.

My shares all have use cache dir Yes.

and appdata is use cache Only.

Also, these are my docker mappings.

Drives will spin up regardless of me trying to change the final download directory to the same name on the cache drive or directing it to the array.

Plex is never turned on and it isn't attempting to update library, so this isn't the issue here.

CouchPotato

/downloads /mnt/cache/appdata/Downloads/dst/Movies/

/movies /mnt/user/Movies/

/config /mnt/cache/appdata/couchpotato   

NZBGet

/data /mnt/user

/config /mnt/cache/appdata/nzbget/config

/downloads /mnt/cache/appdata/Downloads/   

PlexMediaServer   

/tv /mnt/user/Television/

/config /mnt/cache/appdata/plex

/movies /mnt/user/Movies/   

Sonarr    /config /mnt/cache/appdata/Sonarr

/downloads /mnt/cache/appdata/Downloads/dst/TV

/tv /mnt/user/Television/

CacheDirs.jpg.bb6f65893427c8c057f46c1995a83d83.jpg

Anyone able to offer me any help with this?

It seems like no matter what I do, after all this time where the cache drive and cache_dirs has been working properly, now all of a sudden it's not.

Files download to cache (use cache yes is enabled on all shares), CP or Sonarr do their thing with renaming, metadata, etc. then ALL OF A SUDDEN, every drive lights up including parity, and I imagine data is then written to all the drives.  Files are shown in cache/Movies and cache/Television, but clearly something is causing them to be written directly as well and I have no clue what.

Why would this be occuring after all this time of working perfectly? Changing download directories to the cache/Movies or cache/Television seems to be creating the same results.

All I've done in recent days is upgrade to 6.0, all the settings are the same as well as the cache_dirs settings recommended in the upgrading to 6.0 thread.

Please if anyone can offer any insight into this, I would greatly appreciate it.  I'm driving myself nuts trying to figure out what setting has been changed or altered.  Everything seems to be in working order, then a download happens and everything spins up liek it's completely ignoring the cache drive/mover/everything involved with having a cache drive in the first place.

As a further example, I just downloaded a movie, the downloads go from nzbget (/mnt/cache/appdata/Downloads/dst/Movies/MovieName) to where CP then processes and moves it to /mnt/cache/Movies/MovieName...

The difference is:  Couchpotato seems to have done nobody:nogroup and not created a proper symlink, however nzbget doing it without couchpotato renaming, creates a proper (green highlight) symlink... why would this happen?  I have 0777 file and folder settings in couchpotato?

ZMHaF9E.jpg

If I'm sounding like a crazy person, it's because this really is driving me absolutely nuts!

See below for shares images:

Cache_Dirs Settings

eb1p5aa.jpg

appdata share

KB7NcX4.jpg

Movies share

v3JWl2e.jpg

TV share

mSb8S27.jpg

... I currently have cache_dirs off ...

So why are you surprised that drives are spinning up?

If you turn it back on does everything work okay?  [Note that when you first turn it on, it will be several minutes before everything is cached, so some drives will likely spin up ... but when that's done, all should be okay.]

If you turn it back on does everything work okay?  [Note that when you first turn it on, it will be several minutes before everything is cached, so some drives will likely spin up ... but when that's done, all should be okay.]

It's been enabled since last night, and drives seem to still be spinning whenever nzbget downloads then moves files.  Something about the pic of shell (above) is creating an issue.

The Bill & Ted download was with Couchpotato processing - you can see it's not a proper symlink, it's already been moved to the array and therefore caused the drive to spin up and write to it.

Where as the other file (green highlight) is a proper symlink, really exists on the cache, and will then be moved later with the mover script.

When you upgraded to v6, did you follow the process outlined in the "Upgrading to v6" writeup?

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Upgrading_to_UnRAID_v6

... and, more specifically, did you install Cache_Dirs as outlined in the "Dynamix Plugins" section of that writeup?

It's been enabled since last night, and drives seem to still be spinning whenever nzbget downloads then moves files.

I've changed the output directory for all dockers to /mnt/cache/Movies or Television, and so far so good... but I don't know what would start causing the issue, when for months I've had the output be /mnt/user/Movies or Television and nothing like this ever happened with constant spinning up of drives as files were being written to the array rather than to /mnt/cache/Movies or Television awaiting for mover to move them later.

I did remove cache_dirs yesterday and redownload and properly add the options outlined in the upgrading to 6 thread, so I'm hoping that those changes took effect properly.

Prior to having that thread pointed out to me, I didn't know that was needed, so it's possible that was also causing this issue.

I still don't quite understand why the above with pointing to cache is working properly where as up until now I never had an issue with pointing to the array and files using the cache drive properlty.

Archived