new install and User Shares auto creation

dimitriz

Hello,

I am a new user that just purchased the Pro 6.0 yesturday.

Following the http://lime-technology.com/videos/

When I go to create User Shares for some reason I get a whole bunch of extra folders that I do not need and not sure how to get rid of them (besides hiding)

I am more concerned that there is a process started somewhere that takes away resources from the box that I could use elsewhere.

Also, is it normal that my USB flash share shows up on the network where anyone can modify stuff on it?

Thank you.

Unraid-UserShares.PNG.847c276d338d8f4a6b24d551751380d5.PNG

When I go to create User Shares for some reason I get a whole bunch of extra folders that I do not need and not sure how to get rid of them (besides hiding)

I am more concerned that there is a process started somewhere that takes away resources from the box that I could use elsewhere.

That is probably because the disks already have data on them.  All top level folders on the disks will have User shares 'auto-created' for them.

Also, is it normal that my USB flash share shows up on the network where anyone can modify stuff on it?

The default is for it to show up as a share with public access.  If in a home environment this is often a suitable setting.  If you go into the settings for the Boot device in the GUI and select the SMB Securit settings you can set whether it should be shared at all, and if it is whether it should be publically visible or a hidden share.  You can also set who has what type of access.

That is probably because the disks already have data on them.  All top level folders on the disks will have User shares 'auto-created' for them.

The default is for it to show up as a share with public access.  If in a home environment this is often a suitable setting.  If you go into the settings for the Boot device in the GUI and select the SMB Securit settings you can set whether it should be shared at all, and if it is whether it should be publically visible or a hidden share.  You can also set who has what type of access.

Thanks I figured out how to hide flash.

As per other Shared Folder.

I did format the HDs, so there should be nothing on them? Unless Format in Unraid means something else?

Also, when I go into Share Settings for any of those shares it does have a Delete checkbox. However, when I hit apply it doesnt delete them and the only thing I can see that it changes is sets

SMB Security Settings to default.

Thanks!

Archived