OwnCloud and HTTPS settings

TheBaldFox

Hello, all.  New Unraid user here.  I have successfully installed Unraid 6 Server Trial and setup Docker this morning along with OwnCloud, which is the primary reason for my going in Unrad to being with.  While I know my way around computers well enough I am not sure how to go about securing my OwnCloud connection.  I used the standard OwnCloud installation template and when I click to go to the OwnCloud WebGui I get an HTTPS/ privacy error stating "Your Connection is not Secure. This server could not prove that it is 192.168.1.57; its security certificate is not trusted by your computer's operating system. This may be caused by a misconfiguration or an attacker intercepting your connection."  Does anyone have a good way to go about setting up security certificates or whatever it is that I need to do to be able to use OwnCloud going forward?  I am at a loss as to what to do.  Thanks.

In the Windows Certificate Manager,

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/view-or-manage-your-certificates

import the certificates into the Trusted Root Certification Authorities. It sounds like you have done that. But, you may also need to specify what you trust the certificates for — HTTPS is only 1 of several uses for certificates. Try right-clicking on the certificates, in the Certificate Manager, and selecting Properties. In the Properties dialog, in the General tab, look for the Certificate Purposes area, and make sure Server Authentication is checked.

Here is another tutorial that might help:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2007/04/10/installing-a-self-signed-certificate-as-a-trusted-root-ca-in-windows-vista.aspx

Are you using it purely on your LAN or going to expose it the Www?

I bought a cheap domain name from namecheap.com and using smdion's Apache Reverse Proxy docker and the SSL tutorial he wrote to serve Owncloud and a number of other apps.

I now go to myserver.com/owncloud via an SSL connection.

It's a bit of work by IMHO worth it.

Checkout smdion's docker thread in the docker subforum and I've posted in the thread fairly recently how I reverse proxied it.  Can't remember if it's in the smdion thread or the Owncloud one though.

On my phone at the moment so difficult to find it.

Hope that gives you something to start with.

Oh and welcome to Unraid.

I am planning to be able to access it from outside my LAN, if possible.  I want to be able to share pics and vids with family offsite.  I will look into your suggestions and try to get everything configured and I will check back in.  Thanks a lot for the time, guys.

Archived