OpenELEC Plex

I played with this about six months but lost interest because OE in that build is at a very old version (3.2 I think).

If you are ever willing to move away from Plex, take a look at Emby.  The devs created a Kodi plugin that works really well.

John

I played with this about six months but lost interest because OE in that build is at a very old version (3.2 I think).

If you are ever willing to move away from Plex, take a look at Emby.  The devs created a Kodi plugin that works really well.

John

I think you missed the point then if the issue you had was an old version of OE. OE isn't even used as the media front end. Sure the OE backend (linux sub system) is old, but it works just fine. The Plex front end (which is what the user interacts with) is current.

• 9 months later...

I recently purchased a i5 so I will be giving his a go with the newer Plex Media Player.img from Plex themselves.

My understanding is this .img is based on OE, so the unRAID template should work, just swap out the img files....

Since Plex Home Theater has been discontinued, OpenPHT was started by the developers of RasPlex, for those that prefer the original PHT interface over the new Plex Media Player. The embedded version of OpenPHT uses a newer version of OE as a backend. The next version will supposedly merge code from RasPlex so development of OpenPHT and RasPlex will proceed concurrently.

https://github.com/RasPlex/OpenPHT/releases

• 2 weeks later...

I have been able to get Plex Media Player sucessfully setup in a VM. 24 hours later it worked, but another 24 hours or so there was no video output.

I forced a shutdown, then started and it crashed. Resolved by rebooting.. I'm thinking this has to do with the GPU not "resetting" since power is always applied... anyone know how to resolve that?