Resolving a Pending Sector

strike

So I got an mail from my unraid box yesterday that disk 3 has 2 pending sectors.. As I understand this is something that has to be fixed, no matter how low the number is. Do I have to pre-clear it first or can I just re-enable the drive like it says in the wiki?

If no spare is available then follow the next procedure to re-enable the drive. The pending sector count should be zero after rebuilding. If not then replace.

I don't  have a spare at the moment, so I'm wondering what is the best and fastest way to solve this. Should I just buy a spare, replace and pre-clear the original and have it as a spare or should I re-enable the drive and rebuild, or take the drive offline pre-clear it and then re-enable and rebuild?

Optimally, you should have a pre-cleared spare on hand. (Or a large enough cache drive that can be moved into the array.) Buy a spare, pre-clear, and keep it as a ready spare.

How old is the drive? If it's new, then rebuild onto itself. If it's old, then pre-clear and rebuild onto itself. Finally, do a parity check. If the pending sectors persist then the drive will have to be retired.

The drive is just a year old. Well, technically I have a spare, I have 2 drives in the array without any data on it, so I could just shrink the array and keep one as a spare. I have lots of space anyway so, but yeah thanks for your reply, I will mark this as solved now.

Archived