Linux..... Dohh!

Hello all.  :)

Please excuse this possibly stupid question.

Just installed Linux Mint (Latest) on my desktop PC instead of Windows 8.1.

I have just tried to add another folder  for a new film inside my Movies folder. A message immediately pops up saying "No".

The message says the Share is "Read Only" (it is). My Windows machine never had this problem. Any ideas?

The Share has a user who has read and write access (me) but the Linux file manager doesn't even ask me to enter any credentials. It just says "NO"!  >:(

Can anybody help please, I do like this Linux Mint.

Update.... I just changed the Movie share user password using the Unraid WebGUI and then attempted to create a new folder from my other Windows machine. i was immediately asked for a user name and password. I entered my share user name and password and bingo, I could add, modify, delete etc.

Unfortunately, this now generates another couple of questions in addition to why Linux wont present me with a "share folder" username and password request.

First question is this (a bit off topic) is the root username and password purely for accessing the Web Gui?

Second question (more important), How do I log back out of my "Movie share" on the Windows machine?

It appears that now that I have logged in to the Unraid Server using my new password via the other Windows machine, either the Windows computer or the Unraid server remebers this permanently!!  That "Other Windows Computer" is used occasionally by my granddaughter! if she gets into file explorer and navigates to the UnRaid server....... I dont even want to think about it!  ???

Thanks,  :)

Haven't got access to a Mint Machine at the moment but I'm guessing it's a permissions issue.

Unraid permissions are nobody:users so that'll give you something to start with.

Might be worth asking on the Mint forums as it's more of an issue with Mint than Unraid.  Having said that please post the solution in this thread as it may be useful for others.  ;)

Hello all.  :)

Please excuse this possibly stupid question.

Just installed Linux Mint (Latest) on my desktop PC instead of Windows 8.1.

I have just tried to add another folder  for a new film inside my Movies folder. A message immediately pops up saying "No".

The message says the Share is "Read Only" (it is). My Windows machine never had this problem. Any ideas?

The Share has a user who has read and write access (me) but the Linux file manager doesn't even ask me to enter any credentials. It just says "NO"!  >:(

Can anybody help please, I do like this Linux

Thanks,  :)

you have to mount it with user credentials.

either in the fstab or from the command line with mount

google is your friend for this.

Thanks Sparkly.

I'm a complete Linux noob so will have a quick look at this. I'm assuming that this change/modification has to be made/added on the Linux machine?

Is that right?

Why cant it just ask me for a username and password like Windows does?  ::)

BTW, Any answers on how I sign back out/retract my user credentials from the windows machine after adding a few folders? Rebooting the machine doesn't work.  I suppose I could hide the keyboard when the granddaughter visits but that seems a bit harsh!  :-[

Thanks.

Hello once again!

Right, after watching a tutorial on Youtube I have managed to map one of my Unraid shares to my Linux Mint desktop by creating a mount point, creating a directory, and creating a credentials file on the Linux Mint machine.

All I can say is..... What a load of rubbish! If this is what's required in order to gain access to what is a simple user share then I'll go back to Windows!  >:(:o>:(

Why?  It has taken me an hour to do what would have taken seconds in Windows.  ::)

The windows machine (In stark contrast) simply presented me with a username and password box when I attempted to access my shares.  ;D

Once entered, these details then allow me to access EVERY other share on my Unraid Server that have the same user (obviously). With Linux it appears I have to go through the Youtube rigmarole for every share that I want to access!  >:(

Can somebody please tell me why Linux can't just present me with a credentials box like Windows? I mean, really, what is the point of this Linux approach? Is it supposed to make things more secure?

Cheers.  :-\

Hello once again!

Right, after watching a tutorial on Youtube I have managed to map one of my Unraid shares to my Linux Mint desktop by creating a mount point, creating a directory, and creating a credentials file on the Linux Mint machine.

All I can say is..... What a load of rubbish! If this is what's required in order to gain access to what is a simple user share then I'll go back to Windows!  >:(:o>:(

Why?  It has taken me an hour to do what would have taken seconds in Windows.  ::)

The windows machine (In stark contrast) simply presented me with a username and password box when I attempted to access my shares.  ;D

Once entered, these details then allow me to access EVERY other share on my Unraid Server. With Linux it appears I have to go through the Youtube rigmarole for every share that I want to access!  >:(

Can somebody please tell me why Linux can't just present me with a credentials box like Windows? I mean, really, what is the point of this Linux approach? Is it supposed to make things more secure?

Well on Ubuntu I was able to just browse the network and open my user share, although I don't have security on them,

Hello once again!

Once entered, these details then allow me to access EVERY other share on my Unraid Server that have the same user (obviously). With Linux it appears I have to go through the Youtube rigmarole for every share that I want to access!  >:(

linux can be a learning curve at times when coming from the everything open to you (and by the same token, anyone else as well) world of windows.

but once you have solved something, you get a sense of satisifaction and you can copy paste the basic template in fstab to mount new shares.

Some quick thoughts.

Windows...... Not open to everyone. My secure shares are secure. Windows presents me with a credentials box which I fill in to access my shares. If I dont have the user name and password then I cant access them in either Windows or Linux.

Fstab....... Yes, you can cut and paste, but.... you also have to go through the nonsense of creating directories, Credentials files, changing their permissions, setting mount points, etc.

In order to do this you have to duck in and out of Terminal, changing from user to root to user etc. What a faff!

Windows........ requires none of the above! it took me Five minutes (probably less, and including googling) to find credentials manager and enter the details required for permanent access to my shares. Without adding these details, Windows asks me to log in on a session by session basis. Perfect!

Linux....... The procedure outlined in the fstab paragraph is long winded and unnecessarily convoluted. It took me an hour, bearing in mind that years ago I spent a lot of time around DOS so I understood the basic principles. My brother, a day to day computer user, sat baffled whilst he watched me run through the steps required!

Ubuntu...... Yes, Funnily enough a mate of mine uses Ubuntu. I visited him for coffee yesterday and watched him log into his server remotely (but within the local LAN). Ubuntu immediately asked for the username and password and presented a credentials box. This was the case on every attempt. He was unable to explain why Linux Mint did not do this.

Question....... Is this a Linux Mint and Unraid thing, or is this an Ubuntu to his server thing (not sure what his server is running), or is this a Linux Mint vs Ubuntu thing?

Right, Im just about to fire up ubuntu from a DVD and find out. Watch this space!

I'm not a big Linux guy, but I do prefer Mint to Ubuntu, just happened to use a Ubuntu VM yesterday.  It may be possible to install the Ubuntu type credential manager into Mint as I think Mint uses the same repository.  Sure someone else can shed more light on it, probably better to ask for advice on the Mint forums, which seemed quite friendly last time I looked especially as they seem to be actively trying to recruit new users rather than some distros.